No announcement yet.

DisplayLink USB Display Driver 5.5 Supports Newer Linux Kernel Versions, Fixes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DisplayLink USB Display Driver 5.5 Supports Newer Linux Kernel Versions, Fixes

Phoronix: DisplayLink USB Display Driver 5.5 Supports Newer Linux Kernel Versions, Fixes

While early on DisplayLink's USB2-based devices were friendly with Linux and had upstream open-source driver support, their newer USB3-based display hardware has relied on a binary driver focused on just supporting Ubuntu. Last month DisplayLink released an updated version of that binary blob ahead of Ubuntu 22.04 LTS...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Well, it's closed source, but Synaptics says they're open to contributions..?

At least the technology and devices work well; I've been using two different gen docks for half a year or so, and I have nothing to say really!

Comment

It really sucks that those devices have no proper open driver support. Would be neat for multi-seat systems and such.

Comment

Originally posted by direc85 View Post
        Well, it's closed source, but Synaptics says they're open to contributions..?

At least the technology and devices work well; I've been using two different gen docks for half a year or so, and I have nothing to say really!
        The previous one didn't work very well for my Lenovo USB-C dock: very poor refresh rate. This latest release works much better, so far, but still the process DisplayLinkManager takes too much CPU time, especially when playing videos. On the other hand, for some reason my two (not cheap) displayport cables sometimes go blank for a few seconds, which is annoying (so I guess it's not the cable, the problem). So I haven't decided yet which solution sucks less. HDMI connection instead is stable, but I've got the impression that frequent plugs/unplugs of the HDMI port make it more prone to wear (although it has to be seen if the USB-C is more resistant from this point of view).

Comment

it would be nice to start seeing some alternatives. aside from software wiring, compared to a displaylink dock pretty much everything else can be handled from a generic Type-c hub if you can feed a display signal into it. and even that is only half true since we got GUD merged back in what, 5.13? and I suppose someone could use that if they so wish (though I would personally love to see single gpu based multiseat work done more) it would be nice to see some more work done on GUD making it better suited. especially now since we are seeing more devices with 20/40gb connections.

Comment

I'm forced to use them at work, and they're as bad as they sound.
            Fortunately in the new offices we have Lenovo monitors with integrated USB-C ports with DP passthrough, they work awesomely well with linux.

Comment

I've had to use these USB3 drivers at work, and I can also attest to the fact that they're total crap. I had "extreme" CPU utilization issues, as well as huge ( 1 second plus ) latency, and stability issues. No wayland support either. Definitely to be avoided.

Comment

Too late too little, I have given up on those displayLink garbage.
                I've asked my IT department to buy thunderbolt docks instead which have proper upstream support.

Comment

Originally posted by dkasak View Post
                  I've had to use these USB3 drivers at work, and I can also attest to the fact that they're total crap. I had "extreme" CPU utilization issues, as well as huge ( 1 second plus ) latency, and stability issues. No wayland support either. Definitely to be avoided.
                  Then it seems to be an issue with their linux driver.
                  As you can see in https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5jLAwSvs7vE the tech in general sounds and looks fine.

Comment

Working...
                  X