Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OpenRazer 3.3 Released With Support For More Razer Devices

Phoronix: OpenRazer 3.3 Released With Support For More Razer Devices

A new release of OpenRazer is available as the community project providing open-source Linux drivers for various Razer devices from their keyboards and mice to headsets and other peripherals from the popular gaming device manufacturer...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

It's surprising when community-made open-source drivers work better than the official ones.

Months ago I bought a Logitech mouse (because my Razer one got a faulty scroll wheel).
    libratbag and g203-led worked wonderfully out of the box.
    On the other hand, even after installing the official drivers on Windows, it failed to recognize my mouse despite repeated attempts to get it to work.

Likewise, with Razer devices I've always used OpenRazer and it just worked (some missing features though but otherwise it seems to work).
    On the other hand, having to register an account to use Synapse is terrible.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
      It's surprising when community-made open-source drivers work better than the official ones.
      I tend to be more surprised by the opposite.

Comment

Nice. Seems my next mouse will be a Razer one, instead of an Logitech one, which I currentrly use.

There is a long list of supported keybords and mice. And the most popular Linux distributions are supported.
        Open source driver and user-space daemon to control Razer peripherals on GNU/Linux

Possibly the driver is already part of that distributions, so that no installation is needed.

Comment

Originally posted by NateHubbard View Post

I tend to be more surprised by the opposite.
          That usually happens after residing for a long time in open-source land.

Comment

Originally posted by theuserbl View Post
            Nice. Seems my next mouse will be a Razer one, instead of an Logitech one, which I currentrly use.

There is a long list of supported keybords and mice. And the most popular Linux distributions are supported.
            Open source driver and user-space daemon to control Razer peripherals on GNU/Linux

Possibly the driver is already part of that distributions, so that no installation is needed.
            Be careful though - Razer mice tend to fail fast, at least from my experience.

Comment

Stay away from razer mice... they are utter garbage. I have owned several and they have all died with a year or less. They use garbage switches in their primary buttons. The record was a Razer Naga that died via left click switch failure within 8 months of new purchase. That was the last one, I gave up on them at that point and went back to logitech. Corsair is also proving to be reasonable from a quality perspective (havent tried messing with its settings in Linux).

Piper is awesome gui for configuring Logitech devices, I have found it to be better then the Logitech windows software!

All of that said, I have a Razer keyboard with the cherry switches... so far it has survived quite well and in general I am pleased with it... its the longest lasting Razer product I have ever owned.

Comment

I'll add my voice to those suggesting to avoid Razer.

Their recent build quality has deteriorated.

Comment

Originally posted by Paradigm Shifter View Post
                  I'll add my voice to those suggesting to avoid Razer.

Their recent build quality has deteriorated.
                  I don't know about recent build quality, but I have Abyssus Essential and Lancehead from 2018 and true, in Abyssus I had to replace Omron switches - but still works, not like my previous Roccat Kone+ and Lancehead still works fine (also was much more expensive).

Comment

The Naga Trinity i won years ago still works fine, if you regularly remove the dust like you should do for all hardware

Comment

Working...
                    X