Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dell S2409W 24-inch LCD

Phoronix: Dell S2409W 24-inch LCD

The prices on LCD monitors have dropped a fair amount in recent times and it is now possible to find 24-inch LCDs approaching the $200 USD price-range, which a few years back was just reserved for a couple 17-inch LCDs. One such example is the Dell S2409W -- a 24" LCD panel with 1920 x 1080 resolution and has VGA, DVI, and HDMI inputs. This sleek monitor may not have as many bells and whistles as some of the other displays out there, but its price is nearly unbeatable.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Is it like a mirror? Or is it usable even if you are not in the dark? Thanks

Comment

Strange timing... I just ordered one of these a few days a go, will be delivered tomorrow along with a new graphics card.

Comment

not sure i would like the glossy boarder. i have an older 24 inch dell, DELL2407WFPHC, and it has the memory card reader. i tried twice to get that to work and have not been successful, has anyone else gotten the memory card reader to work? if not then i dont think it will be missed on this reviewed model. also on my current model there is a slight tilt to the lower right. very noticable, kinda annoying, but i deal with it. does new dell lcd have any tilt or does the stand hold it level ?

matt

Comment

glossy border

not sure i would like the glossy boarder
          I have 2 of the Samsung SyncMaster 226BW which looks very similar to this one, except that it is 22" 1680x1050.

The glossy border is theoretically annoying, but in practice I do not notice it most of the time. But if possible, my next display would not have anything that is glossy.

Comment

I wish they would offer laptops without glossy displays.

Comment

Originally posted by bugmenot View Post
              Is it like a mirror? Or is it usable even if you are not in the dark? Thanks
              I have a similar monitor, the 23", 2048x1152 SP2309W. It also has the glossy border of the S2409W and that glossy border is not very noticeable. The screen is glossy as well, and unlike on laptops, a glossy-screen desktop is not really a liability. The glossy screens are easier to clean, the images do look sharper, and you can control glare a lot better in one particular room where you use a desktop than all of the places you use a laptop.

About the only kvetch I have with this monitor is the capacitive button-less buttons that everybody else also uses today. I like the normal, raised buttons in my Dell 2001FP a lot better.

Comment

TN panel? No thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by DanL View Post
                  TN panel? No thanks.
                  Of course it's a TN panel at this price. What the hell were you expecting?

Comment

Originally posted by fat_chris View Post
                    Of course it's a TN panel at this price. What the hell were you expecting?
                    I wasn't expecting anything. I was just noting that I stopped reading the article as soon as I saw those words.

I'm not in the monitor market at the moment either. I'm hoping my ViewSonic VX2025wm (20" 1680x1050, S-PVA) lasts me a long, long time

Comment

Working...
                    X