Wacom Talks Up Their Linux Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PackRat View Post

Don't hate me here all I am saying is that windows gets a bsod a person can lose work meanwhile Linux can be restarted remotely which is really cool and I can understand why big companies use Linux.
    Linux just is a powerful and flexible ecosystem. Neckbeards wanna tell me if referring to an ecosystem as Linux is legit? Somethin about GNU...

Anyway, lack of being able to map my Huion, which has a different aspect ratio and resolution from my monitor (and tbh most monitors play a lil... loose with the actual ratio, call me picky), to said monitor under any current Wayland compositor has me stuck on X until I become wealthy. I bet the Wacom situation is great if just for latency with wayland.

Comment

Originally posted by doomie View Post

Linux just is a powerful and flexible ecosystem. Neckbeards wanna tell me if referring to an ecosystem as Linux is legit? Somethin about GNU...

Anyway, lack of being able to map my Huion, which has a different aspect ratio and resolution from my monitor (and tbh most monitors play a lil... loose with the actual ratio, call me picky), to said monitor under any current Wayland compositor has me stuck on X until I become wealthy. I bet the Wacom situation is great if just for latency with wayland.
      I didn't even know Huion had wacom tech until today. I guess I could off got an apple phone too that has an apple pencil... Anyway the first week with my Samsung note 20 I made a sculpt with nomad sculpt. I made a joker head I am just using a shareware version right now. I am wondering if I can get this app for Linux with some kind of android Linux thingy... I heard there is way's to run android apps on Linux.

My previous phone was a blackberry so this is a big upgrade for me. Kinda wish I could just have a Linux phone that had wacom support. Like Purism Librem but with the pen.

Comment

Been enjoying this support for many years. :+ )

Comment

Originally posted by PackRat View Post

I didn't even know Huion had wacom tech until today. I guess I could off got an apple phone too that has an apple pencil... Anyway the first week with my Samsung note 20 I made a sculpt with nomad sculpt. I made a joker head I am just using a shareware version right now. I am wondering if I can get this app for Linux with some kind of android Linux thingy... I heard there is way's to run android apps on Linux.

My previous phone was a blackberry so this is a big upgrade for me. Kinda wish I could just have a Linux phone that had wacom support. Like Purism Librem but with the pen.
          I've never met an android app that I liked, so I can't help you there. I hear you about phones. Maybe a Pinephone 2 Pro one day, if we're allowed to own anything anymore by then.

Comment

Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post
            greater tablet support on linux (not you wayland) has been great for ages, likely in large part due to wacom. now we just need wayland to catchup.
            Indeed, libinput's tablet support is god awful and virtually entirely undocumented.

Comment

Originally posted by rabcor View Post

Indeed, libinput's tablet support is god awful and virtually entirely undocumented.
              IMO I think the issue is more the wayland protocol, which has been in unstable for ages. last I checked libinput support for tablets it'self is pretty good, but I do agree docs could be better

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                I really appreciate Wacom's support, but I do find it a little weird they put in so much support for an OS that doesn't really do much with graphics.
                I'm a professional VFX (visual effects) artist for 10+ years with credits on big hollywood pictures. Linux is far and away my preferred platform for work. ALL major professional grade software is natively supported by the vendors, with the minor exception of Adobe. But Adobe are really a bit player in big-league shops (save for their recent acquisition of Substance Designer). All those who really matter: Autodesk, The Foundry, Avid, Blackmagic Design, SideFX, SolidAngle, etc. all have solid native linux support.

I use Intuos and Cintiq with Linux Mint and they work better than in Windows, where the Wacom driver was always fighting with Windows Ink and registry hacks are required to make things behave properly.

Comment

You can try OpenTabletDriver, I don't believe there's any tilt support yet though, if needed.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                    I really appreciate Wacom's support, but I do find it a little weird they put in so much support for an OS that doesn't really do much with graphics.
                    Linux has hands down best graphics/compute stack, period.

It just doesn't have the prosumer tools, and is not easy to work with like Macs.

If you are a huuge shop, with large graphics compute, and large storage needs, and can afford to hire a dedicated linux admin, linux is the best.

Comment

I've never met an android app that I liked, so I can't help you there. I hear you about phones. Maybe a Pinephone 2 Pro one day, if we're allowed to own anything anymore by then.
                      "Nomad Sculpt is a sculpting application for iOS and Android and frankly… it’s my favourite app of 2021 so far and is my favourite way to sculpt 3D models." ~ Gamefromscratch

Nomad Sculpt is like a poor man's Zbrush and a lot of fun to use It has a shareware version and is only $20 vs Zbrush $700 or whatever it is. Autodesk sketchbook is good for 2d art. Like I am using it on a phone which is not a lot of real estate space but it is fun if ya got to take public transportation or got to kill time waiting for a doctor, dentist or a pizza... lol

Krita on android is awkward to use it looks like the desktop version. I am not sure if their is a minimal mode for phones. Anyway I get your point about phone apps but when you have a pen and can do some art on the go it is cool n fun.

As the saying goes it is a poor musician that blames his instruments...

Comment

Working...
                      X