Wacom Talks Up Their Linux Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ezst036 View Post

The OS does graphics just fine. Third party applications such as those made by Adobe don't really put in much support for the OS.
    The kernel has support but desktop environments doesn't always have the beet support. KDE 4 had a wacom control panel and when kde 5 came out there was no wacom control panel so I ditched it for gnome that had the wacom panel. I hope kde has better support now for wacom I am itching to try out steamos 3 if it ever released.

Comment

Yep, their Linux support is why I bought a little Wacom and why I suggest people to buy Wacom, even if they use Windows, but they're more independent then, if they intend to switch.
      Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Originally posted by PackRat View Post

The kernel has support but desktop environments doesn't always have the beet support. KDE 4 had a wacom control panel and when kde 5 came out there was no wacom control panel so I ditched it for gnome that had the wacom panel. I hope kde has better support now for wacom I am itching to try out steamos 3 if it ever released.
        Let's see:
        Gentoo has kde-misc/wacomtablet
        which is from

https://apps.kde.org/wacomtablet / https://userbase.kde.org/Wacomtablet
        Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Originally posted by alem View Post
          I used a wacom bamboo tablet on linux for years since 2011. Everything worked automatically after attaching it, especially on ubuntu.
          I have a wacom bamboo too. Just got a Samsung note 20 that has wacom tech built in and noticed in the settings that it can use other pens. I tried the bamboo pen and it did not work. I am not sure if it is compatible I will probably have to buy a better pen that is compatible with Samsung. Samsung has good Linux support. I have a Samsung laser printer that works great with Linux.

Comment

One thing we've been needing for a while though is a distro independent settings panel. Gnome and KDE did a great implementation, but at the same time created an unportable atrocity.

Comment

KDE seems to have entry for wacom tablets in system settings since long time. If you are referring to wayland, its added in 5.24

Comment

Originally posted by leo_sk View Post
                KDE seems to have entry for wacom tablets in system settings since long time. If you are referring to wayland, its added in 5.24
                I haven't used kde since 5:12 or so... 2018? Anyway I think David Revoy is a pioneer with digital art and with wacom or wacom like devices on Linux and people should follow him. He files bug reports like this one:

David REVOY 2021-11-06 18:04:25 UTC

Hi, If you try to make a gradient over a black background, you'll can't see your origin and destination: the segment on canvas during the drag&drop action is black (and not "XOR" colored). STEPS TO REPRODUCE 1. Open a new document, fill it with black color. 2. Play with the gradient tool OBSERVED RESULT Impossible to control origin and destination of the gradient visually because it will be black over black. EXPECTED RESULT Get the segment colored with a XOR-like blending mode. (like when tracing circle, square, etc), it's bright over dark backgrounds and dark over bright backgrounds. Thank you SOFTWARE/OS VERSIONS Linux/KDE Plasma: Kubuntu 20.04LTS Krita Plus 5.0.0-beta2 (git 188e619)

I work in construction and computers and art is a hobby. I have a love hate relationship with computing in general.. I am not taking a dump on KDE or Linux here. I think David Revoy is a good role model for the Linux community and for digital art in general. Like I said before David is a pioneer and I recommend him to noobs like me.

Comment

'works well' is an understatement, it works better than on windows or macs... sure it's down a configuration gui front-end, although some environments provide those, but as long as you manage to get it configured it'll just work. Meanwhile on windows you need to dick around with wintab or windows ink settings that can mess things up here and there, you'll often end up in situations where you have to install a different driver version to get your tablet to work for inexplicable reasons, you can't plug in more than one drawing tablet at a time and if you use another tablet from another brand you have to uninstall your tablet driver then install the driver for your other tablet and vice versa everytime you wanna change tablets, this involves a restart, sometimes two.

It's a sin that major painting software like photoshop and corel painter don't support linux because neither windows nor macos have sane drawing tablet support/environments. Not to mention that the driver quality is simply inferior on their proprietary drivers in the first place, a whole lot more bug prone (this applies to every tablet vendor, even the ones that are only unofficially supported on linux often tend to give a smoother and less buggy experience on linux than anywhere they're officially supported)

I haven't used kde since 5:12 or so... 2018? Anyway I think David Revoy is a pioneer with digital art and with wacom or wacom like devices on Linux and people should follow him. He files bug reports like this one
                  People should follow him because he's a good artist.
                  Last edited by rabcor; 02 April 2022, 04:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by rabcor View Post
                    People should follow him because he's a good artist.
                    He is a good artist and also proves that Linux is a viable solution to make a living on doing art. As my wife say's it is not the size of the pencil it is how you use it. LMAO Scratching my head, I am not sure if that is a good example here... lol moving on..

I have had a lot of problems with Linux desktop environments freezing but I have found a work around... Like the interesting thing with Linux is if the desktop environment freezes I learned that the desktop environment can be restored remotely. Windows can't recover from these type of things as far as I know,

Don't hate me here all I am saying is that windows gets a bsod a person can lose work meanwhile Linux can be restarted remotely which is really cool and I can understand why big companies use Linux.

Comment

greater tablet support on linux (not you wayland) has been great for ages, likely in large part due to wacom. now we just need wayland to catchup.

Comment

Working...
                      X