Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wacom Talks Up Their Linux Support

Phoronix: Wacom Talks Up Their Linux Support

As longtime Linux users likely know or even those reading Phoronix over the years, Wacom devices have generally worked well on Linux. Not that it should be particularly surprising, Wacom recently published a blog post talking up their twenty years of Linux support for their various drawing pens and tablets...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Reply by AnAccount proves me to be wrong.
    Last edited by b1twise; 02 April 2022, 10:45 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by b1twise View Post
      Notable is the lack of any mention of Wayland. I'm fine with that, but based on what I read elsewhere they aren't doing active work to add support for it. I'm personally not moving to wayland for other reasons yet, but wacom is on the list of missing things for me.
      We will start with the Wayland improvements, because this is the next generation display server that will soon be used by default on almost all GNU/Linux distributions, starting with the upcoming Fedora 25 Linux operating system, which implemented Wayland by default for the GNOME Live CD (a.k.a. Fedora Workstation). Therefore, GTK+ 3.21.5 comes with full […]

According to this article they have been working with Wayland since 2016.

Comment

Originally posted by AnAccount View Post

We will start with the Wayland improvements, because this is the next generation display server that will soon be used by default on almost all GNU/Linux distributions, starting with the upcoming Fedora 25 Linux operating system, which implemented Wayland by default for the GNOME Live CD (a.k.a. Fedora Workstation). Therefore, GTK+ 3.21.5 comes with full […]

According to this article they have been working with Wayland since 2016.
        My mistake, very sorry about that.

Comment

This, plus the build and sensor quality is why I will replace my ageing Intuos 2 A4 tablet only with an other Wacom product and also why I gifted some entry level Wacom tools to creative kids. I don't like to gift tech tools that bind you to one platform.

Comment

I really appreciate Wacom's support, but I do find it a little weird they put in so much support for an OS that doesn't really do much with graphics.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
              I really appreciate Wacom's support, but I do find it a little weird they put in so much support for an OS that doesn't really do much with graphics.
              The OS does graphics just fine. Third party applications such as those made by Adobe don't really put in much support for the OS.

Comment

I used a wacom bamboo tablet on linux for years since 2011. Everything worked automatically after attaching it, especially on ubuntu.

Comment

Huh? Pixar uses Fedora. Just got a Samsung note 20 that has a wacom built in. An artist David Revoy on YouTube has 63 k subscribers uses Linux and Krita. David Revoy has a published comic book has a blog with guides for wacom setup. David Revoy also has tutorials how to setup wacom's competitor xp-pen 24 2k screen with pen. That xp-pen 24 is like $900 so if wacom does not support Linux their competitors will.

Linux has a lot of graphics applications: Maya , Blender , Modo, Houdini , Substance painter . 3d coat etc Lots of open source stuff like krita , gimp , my paint etc.

Comment

Linux is very popular for CGI and SFX.

Comment

Working...
                    X