No announcement yet.

NXP Continues Work On Linux Driver Bring-Up Of "Amphion" Video Encoder/Decoder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NXP Continues Work On Linux Driver Bring-Up Of "Amphion" Video Encoder/Decoder

Phoronix: NXP Continues Work On Linux Driver Bring-Up Of "Amphion" Video Encoder/Decoder

NXP engineers continue persevering for bringing up a mainline-suitable, open-source kernel driver for their Amphion video encoder/decoder hardware. Out today is their 15th revision to the Amphion driver patches...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

No H.265. H.266, VP9 or AV1 support. It seems like real shitty hardware. 👎

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
      no h.265. H.266, vp9 or av1 support. It seems like real shitty hardware. 👎
      hevc = h.265

Comment

Originally posted by billyswong View Post

hevc = h.265
        My bad, but even so, it has no H.266, VP9 or AV1 support, so it seems really shitty.

Comment

My bad, but even so, it has no H.266, VP9 or AV1 support, so it seems really shitty.
          So, without knowing the target market and the use cases of this SoC, you can already deduce that it is a bad product just based on the supported codecs?

You should really work as an advisor for NXP, they will certainly go bankrupt without your insights.

Comment

No H.265. H.266, VP9 or AV1 support. It seems like real shitty hardware. 👎
            This i.MX8Q is just an extension of the i.MX8 released several years ago, and back then:

- Nobody cared enough about VP9
            - AV1 was still in development
            - H.266 didn't even exist

What do you expect? 8K HDMI or Vulkan 1.3 on a cheap EMBEDDED market chip?

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

This i.MX8Q is just an extension of the i.MX8 released several years ago, and back then:

- Nobody cared enough about VP9
              - AV1 was still in development
              - H.266 didn't even exist

What do you expect? 8K HDMI or Vulkan 1.3 on a cheap EMBEDDED market chip?
              Computing is moving reallynslow these days, entering a dark age. I would expect that and 16K on desktops.

Comment

This is cool to see but these NXP boards don't have onboard HDMI output, you have to buy an add-on board for an extra £150. That combined with these boards being £800+ means I think I'll be giving these a miss.
                Last edited by danboid; 26 January 2022, 08:21 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by danboid View Post
                  This is cool to see but these NXP boards don't have onboard HDMI output, you have to buy an add-on board for an extra £150. That combined with these boards being £800+ means I think I'll be giving these a miss.
                  Developer boards are not intended for, nor sold into, the mass market, so there is no economy of scale (so the design, engineering, and low volume production costs are paid by the few). The i.MX series is intended to go into embedded solutions (where the target volume could be millions) and if HDMI is a necessary part of that target it will be included at little additional cost for the production designs, and all the unnecessary parts (SD card slots, monitor ports, debugging ports, etc.) will be removed in the final design. If you are not a hardware designer building such an embedded solution this is not the board you are looking for.

Comment

Working...
                  X