No announcement yet.

Raspberry Pi Zero 2 W Benchmarks - Nice For $15

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seems a like a neat little do it all SBC in what used to be microcontroller board form factor.
    As for the RISC-V chip, ouch. Definitely needs those vector instructions and compiler optimisations to compete.

Comment

Originally posted by kylew77 View Post
      my old Pentium 3 and Pentium 4 systems I keep for emergencies in the closet.
      Holding doors open? Perhaps preventing vehicles from rolling down the driveway?

Comment

Originally posted by abu_shawarib View Post
        Seems a like a neat little do it all SBC in what used to be microcontroller board form factor.
        As for the RISC-V chip, ouch. Definitely needs those vector instructions and compiler optimisations to compete.
        Yeah, a $15 board using the 9 year old A53 at just 1GHz giving U74 a hard time is not exactly a great selling point for RISC-V... While optimizations are always possible, the same applies to Arm (eg. this board runs 32-bit code, while 64-bit is 10-15% faster). And RISC-V has issues that cannot be worked around in the compiler (such as no conditional execution, load/store with indexing or writeback).

Comment

I still think the RAM should have been upgraded to 1GB. Would've been perfect.

Comment

Originally posted by kylew77 View Post
            This little sucker has more RAM, more cores, and probably a better scores than my old Pentium 3 and Pentium 4 systems I keep for emergencies in the closet. Truly marvelous to see where we have gone.
            I am curious as to what OS you are running on those old machines.
            The slow and bloated software of today wont be a pleasant experience.

Comment

Does anybody know to which Intel CPU the original RPI Zero compare ?
              Is it 486 or better ?

Comment

Originally posted by Raka555 View Post
                Does anybody know to which Intel CPU the original RPI Zero compare ?
                Is it 486 or better ?
                There isn't really a direct x86 equivalent. Performance would be similar to a 400MHz Pentium II. The 486 only did 100MHz but would need to be clocked well above 1GHz to achieve similar performance.

Comment

Originally posted by Raka555 View Post

I am curious as to what OS you are running on those old machines.
                  The slow and bloated software of today wont be a pleasant experience.
                  Believe it or not I installed Gentoo over several days with fluxbox as the wm to get the memory usage low. I never update them. They are for an emergency of if a family member needs a computer to access the Internet or something and they need it NOW. Too slow for day to day usage.

Comment

Nice, if you have nothing better to do with your money, and you also like industrial junk. There's zero practical use case for this device.

Comment

Originally posted by NateHubbard View Post
                      Holding doors open? Perhaps preventing vehicles from rolling down the driveway?
                      And probably still feeling inadequate next to the faster AMD Athlon and Athlon64 competition!

Comment

Working...
                      X