Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A Hang In The Linux Kernel Can Happen If Trying To Read A Broken Floppy Then Ejecting It

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vorpal
    replied
    Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

We could just update the icon...

micro-sd-card-icon-01-.jpg?1459754397&s=091ea08e6a9874933cd6f7b79ea7c73c.jpg

Or tell kids that a the floppy icon is a first gen SD card and see how long it takes them to figure out we're all lying.
    But who actually uses the buttons in the toolbars for saving? You use, Ctrl-S, Cmd-S, C-x C-s, :w, C-O or whatever your software uses.

Even my parents know some basic shortcuts. That includes saving (with the more "normal" Cmd-S/Ctrl-S). And the pieces of software that use something more unusual than that (emacs, nano, vi, ...) usually don't have the toolbar buttons anyway (not that most "normal" users would interact with it anyway). So arguably the image (and button) is completely redundant.

Leave a comment:

• Developer12
    replied
    It will be interesting to see ultimately how long the floppy disk driver remains within the mainline kernel. Floppies are still used within some industrial equipment still but such systems don't tend to see new major kernel versions.
    What Michael doesn't understand is that the industrial equipment isn't what's receiving the new kernel updates. It's the modern computers used to support it. They get updates just like the rest of a company's IT.

But guess what that modern computer needs in order to talk to the old equipment? A floppy drive.

Leave a comment:

• CommunityMember
    replied
    Originally posted by M@GOid View Post
    After a 45min bus trip to a friend's house to bring back a box full of game ROMs ...
    Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon full of tapes hurtling down the highway.
    –Andrew Tanenbaum, 1981

Leave a comment:

• tildearrow
    replied
    Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

We could just update the icon...

micro-sd-card-icon-01-.jpg?1459754397&s=091ea08e6a9874933cd6f7b79ea7c73c.jpg

Or tell kids that a the floppy icon is a first gen SD card and see how long it takes them to figure out we're all lying.
    Erm... no thanks. I am so used to the floppy disk icon.

Leave a comment:

• yump
    replied
    Originally posted by baka0815 View Post

Floppy disks are like Jesus- they died to become the icon of saving.

schmidtbag A hand with a pen is mostly used to "edit" (or change) something, not saving the changes. So I think that chance is lost.
    In the golden future time of effectively infinite disk space (or potentially the golden present time for us programmers and office drones), "saving" will be replaced by the action of creating a named checkpoint in the undo tree. The metaphor git uses for that is tagging, and IMO the march of history is probably not going to erase the concept of labeling otherwise interchangeable physical objects with little cards with text on them. Not any time soon, anyhow.

Leave a comment:

• M@GOid
    replied
    A case of floppy disks, the trigger to my decision to spend the moneys on CD-RW. After a 45min bus trip to a friend's house to bring back a box full of game ROMs, on the good old 56k modem days, I was happily decompressing the file when a disk in the middle failed... I must have look like Scarlett O'Hara, with my fist in the air, swearing things...

Leave a comment:

• rene
    replied
    The last time I used a floppy was just a year ago, when I updated the Open Firmware of my IBM B50 PowerPC servers ;-) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0iN-ynOvxUQ

Leave a comment:

• bug77
    replied
    "A Hang In The Linux Kernel Can Happen If Trying To Read A Broken Floppy Then Ejecting It - I know, it's been bugging me for a while

Leave a comment:

• oleid
    replied
    Benchmark of different floppy drive brands?

Leave a comment:

• Etherman
    replied
    We demand benchmarks!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X