Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux Vendor Firmware Service Serves Up 40 Millionth Download

Phoronix: Linux Vendor Firmware Service Serves Up 40 Millionth Download

With the accelerating growth of the Linux Vendor Firmware Service (LVFS) for serving up system and component firmware files to Linux users for flashing via the fwupd utility, today it crossed the milestone of having served up more than 40 million firmware files...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I wish Western Digital would participate. Requiring proprietary Windows software to view/update disk firmware in 2021 is a joke.

Comment

Any prizes for the 40 millionth downloader?

Comment

LVFS/fwupd truly is a game changer!

Comment

Originally posted by PluMGMK View Post
          Any prizes for the 40 millionth downloader?
          We don't keep any kind of logs for that.

Comment

fwupdmgr get-updates
            No updatable devices

100 desktops, 20 laptops, and a bunch of other random systems and I can't find a single update.

Hopefully, more manufacturers will participate in the future...

Comment

I only wish HP would wake up and start supporting their laptops as well...

Comment

Originally posted by r1348 View Post
                I only wish HP would wake up and start supporting their laptops as well...
                If they lose enough millions of dollars of sales because your org chooses another vendor (Dell and/or Lenovo come to mind for at least some of their laptop lines) that does support LVFS perhaps they will. Perhaps get your purchasing agent to require LVFS support in the next RFP? The reality is most laptops run Windows, and that is where those parts of the vendors have chosen to invest their resources, and few vendors are going to go back and change support for their older systems as support is just additional cost for the vendors, on the other hand, new sales is revenue.

Comment

Originally posted by bash2bash View Post
                  fwupdmgr get-updates
                  No updatable devices

100 desktops, 20 laptops, and a bunch of other random systems and I can't find a single update.

Hopefully, more manufacturers will participate in the future...
                  Indeed, the software is mainly useful for enterprise users (Dell?). I've never been able to locate any firmware updates for any consumer product so far.

Comment

Originally posted by jstoik View Post
                    I wish Western Digital would participate. Requiring proprietary Windows software to view/update disk firmware in 2021 is a joke.
                    Last I checked (some time ago now), none of the HDD manufacturers were providing firmware via LVFS (although I think seagate at least provided a linux firmware loader, so one would think it should be reasonably easy for them to offer integration).

Comment

Working...
                    X