NVMe HDD Demoed At Open Compute Project Summit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by coder View Post
    As I said, you can no longer get MLC for consumer drives....
    I haven't used one and I don't know if these are still actually manufactured, but they are definitely still available: Transcend SSD370S

I did manage to get some Transcend JetFlash 780 MLC USB3.0 32 GB flash drives for really cheap when a web store was getting rid of their stock a couple of years ago, and I'm still miffed that I only got two.

Comment

Originally posted by [TV] View Post
      I haven't used one and I don't know if these are still actually manufactured, but they are definitely still available: Transcend SSD370S
      I bought two of their PATA SSDs for my old Pentium M laptop, many years ago. For unrelated reasons, I stopped using that machine shortly thereafter.

Comment

Originally posted by MadeUpName View Post
        OK I am curious. What possible use does PS/2 serve these days that isn't better served by USB other than wake on keyboard? I have to admit it surprises me every time I buy a mobo and it still has a PS/2 connector even if they have gotten down to one.
        It works and it isn't reliant on USB. And let's us use old keyboards. Saved my day too (actually I didn't notice the issue at the time but read about it in forums) once when Ubuntu had for whatever reason forgotten to include USB drivers into their installer iso.
        Basically, can't see why I definitely must use USB keyboards (tho I have bunch of those too). There's no "performance benefit" to be had. Currently got black/silver HP SDL4000, which is PS/2 and I am using it simply because I like how it feels under the fingers and how long-lasting it is. Other box has HP KUS0133 usb keyboard with smart card reader. They both basically last forever (border checkpoint here has both, they kept working through 10+ years 24/7/365 non-stop typing until plastic on buttons was worn through). I will not reach such wear level at home, so they might as well be eternal.
        Rest of the keyboards I have accumulated over time as parts of new rigs etc are just collecting dust in drawers.

Comment

Originally posted by aht0 View Post
          It works and it isn't reliant on USB. And let's us use old keyboards. Saved my day too (actually I didn't notice the issue at the time but read about it in forums) once when Ubuntu had for whatever reason forgotten to include USB drivers into their installer iso.
          Basically, can't see why I definitely must use USB keyboards (tho I have bunch of those too). There's no "performance benefit" to be had. Currently got black/silver HP SDL4000, which is PS/2 and I am using it simply because I like how it feels under the fingers and how long-lasting it is. Other box has HP KUS0133 usb keyboard with smart card reader. They both basically last forever (border checkpoint here has both, they kept working through 10+ years 24/7/365 non-stop typing until plastic on buttons was worn through). I will not reach such wear level at home, so they might as well be eternal.
          Rest of the keyboards I have accumulated over time as parts of new rigs etc are just collecting dust in drawers.
          Yeah, better make sure I have a PATA drive so I'm not reliant on SATA. Make sure your mobo has legacy PCI too so you aren't reliant on PCIe. Make sure to keep an FDDI network handy in case they forget the ethernet drivers.

Or IDK, just don't use an installer that's buggy. And get a cheap adapter so you aren't held hostage when spending $100+ on a mobo.

On a more serious note, PS/2 works, it just offers nothing that USB doesn't and lacks things like hotplug support, readily available extension cables and hubs, is capped at around 1W making things like wireless or illuminated peripherals hard, can't be used for composite peripherals (like a combined kb/mouse), etc. They also consume more real estate on the mobo's IO panel. You may not *need* any of those things, but they are all useful to some people.

Comment

Originally posted by shopt View Post

Yeah, better make sure I have a PATA drive so I'm not reliant on SATA. Make sure your mobo has legacy PCI too so you aren't reliant on PCIe. Make sure to keep an FDDI network handy in case they forget the ethernet drivers.

Or IDK, just don't use an installer that's buggy. And get a cheap adapter so you aren't held hostage when spending $100+ on a mobo.

On a more serious note, PS/2 works, it just offers nothing that USB doesn't and lacks things like hotplug support, readily available extension cables and hubs, is capped at around 1W making things like wireless or illuminated peripherals hard, can't be used for composite peripherals (like a combined kb/mouse), etc. They also consume more real estate on the mobo's IO panel. You may not *need* any of those things, but they are all useful to some people.
            Here's one thing PS/2 offers that USB does not.
            From an operating system/kernel developer point of view, it is a thousand times easier to access and utilize the PS/2 device interface than the USB ones. Unlike USB, only a few writes to just TWO addresses are required to interface with a PS/2 keyboard and/or mouse.
            On the other hand, for USB you need to prepare a packet and send it through (possibly) layers of different ports and addresses before you can even interface with a keyboard or mouse.

This is why during a kernel panic the kernel cannot flash the status lights on a USB keyboard, but is able to on a PS/2 keyboard.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

Here's one thing PS/2 offers that USB does not.
              From an operating system/kernel developer point of view, it is a thousand times easier to access and utilize the PS/2 device interface than the USB ones. Unlike USB, only a few writes to just TWO addresses are required to interface with a PS/2 keyboard and/or mouse.
              On the other hand, for USB you need to prepare a packet and send it through (possibly) layers of different ports and addresses before you can even interface with a keyboard or mouse.

This is why during a kernel panic the kernel cannot flash the status lights on a USB keyboard, but is able to on a PS/2 keyboard.
              Many BIOSes provides "USB Legacy Support" (mouse/keyboard) option in BIOS or IDE/PATA mode (instead of AHCI) for legacy operating systems.

Comment

Working...
              X