No announcement yet.

NVMe HDD Demoed At Open Compute Project Summit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nowadays, sata interface is obsolete too. What I don't consider obsolete from the past deals with PS/2 interface.

Comment

Originally posted by willmore View Post
      What connector are they using? U.2? The engineer in me fears someone using N.2...
      Please let it be USB-C (Thunderbolt). That would be good for 4 PCIe lanes and power! We don't need yet another connector and cables and whatnot.

Comment

Originally posted by Azrael5 View Post
        Nowadays, sata interface is obsolete too. What I don't consider obsolete from the past deals with PS/2 interface.
        OK I am curious. What possible use does PS/2 serve these days that isn't better served by USB other than wake on keyboard? I have to admit it surprises me every time I buy a mobo and it still has a PS/2 connector even if they have gotten down to one.

Comment

Originally posted by Veto View Post

Please let it be USB-C (Thunderbolt). That would be good for 4 PCIe lanes and power! We don't need yet another connector and cables and whatnot.
          No, no USB-C for internal devices. That's not the right kind of connector for this application. There's *way* too much implementation overhead for that connector. U.2 is the right way to do it. It's got just the right signals, it's mechanically the right choice, and it leverages the existing SATA infrastructure.

That said, there's no reason someone couldn't make a pretty simple USB-C or Thunderbolt to U.2 adapter. USB-C can provide enough power for even a spinning drive and it can use PCI-E alt mode for the data path as well. But using native Thunderbold/USB-C for an internal spinning drive is a bad decision.
          Last edited by willmore; 10 November 2021, 02:54 PM. Reason: And another thing....

Comment

Originally posted by MadeUpName View Post

OK I am curious. What possible use does PS/2 serve these days that isn't better served by USB other than wake on keyboard? I have to admit it surprises me every time I buy a mobo and it still has a PS/2 connector even if they have gotten down to one.
            If I understand correctly, virtually all motherboards since USB 1 came out that support both PS/2 and USB simply emulate PS/2 over USB, so, probably nothing. Most motherboards don't have PS/2, but I do still see some high-end modern ones still come with it, which is kind of a shock. Maybe it's a government-required compatibility thing for military hardware? They're still using MS-DOS of all things so it wouldn't surprise me.

Comment

Seagate should just produce better SSDs instead of trying to push old technologies, that draw too much power and needed to die yesterday.

The next thing they do is to hold up future NVMe interface specifications because they have to include compatibility features for old HDD technologies.

Comment

Fuck off.
                Oh, my little feisty donkey feels insolent today, bad boy :-)

Comment

The difference is in communication/control: interrupt-based (PS/2) vs polling (USB). Therefore, You can not get full NKRO with USB.

Comment

Originally posted by barti_ddu View Post

The difference is in communication/control: interrupt-based (PS/2) vs polling (USB). Therefore, You can not get full NKRO with USB.
                    That's just plain wrong. USB supports different modes for HID/Keyboard. The normal simple mode can report up to six key down states. The other mode simply reports a large bit field showing the state of every key. It's then up to the OS to realize if a key is now pressed or released vs the previous state.

The latter mode is much simpler for a keyboard to implement as it's just a simple representation of what the keyboard controller has to generate as it scans the key matrix. The 'simple mode' actually takes more complexity in the keyboard controller to parse through the keys and package them into the USB message. But, the bit field method requires the OS (or BIOS) to remember the state of the keyboard and early BIOSes didn't do that. So, all keyboards ended up supporting at least the 'simple' mode for the sake of BIOS compatability. Nowdays that's less of an issue, but is still causes confusion from time to time.

Here's a good video on it:

Comment

Fuck off.
                      Seethe

Comment

Working...
                      X