Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NVMe HDD Demoed At Open Compute Project Summit

Phoronix: NVMe HDD Demoed At Open Compute Project Summit

Seagate engineers yesterday used the Open Compute Project Global Summit for the first public demonstration of a native NVMe hard drive. The hope is moving forward both HDDs and SSDs in the data center will consolidate to using the NVMe interface...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

They can get by with an x1 link, right? Moving everything to PCIe makes sense to me.

Comment

Originally posted by brucethemoose View Post
      They can get by with an x1 link, right? Moving everything to PCIe makes sense to me.
      You could probably put 3 or 4 drives on that without noticing any slowdown.

Comment

What connector are they using? U.2? The engineer in me fears someone using N.2...

Comment

Originally posted by NateHubbard View Post

You could probably put 3 or 4 drives on that without noticing any slowdown.
          Or, alternatively, they could make chunky, more parallel HDDs.

I guess this could already be done with SAS, but still.

Comment

So much for the "Non-Volatile Memory" part of Non-Volatile Memory express

Comment

Originally posted by bachchain View Post
              So much for the "Non-Volatile Memory" part of Non-Volatile Memory express
              I doubt these hard drives are going to be all that "volatile".

Comment

One thing is for sure. SATA is way past it's shelf life. I can't believe we are still at the point where they are just starting to roll it out to the data centers. It will be at least another decade before it trickles down to consumers.

Comment

Originally posted by MadeUpName View Post
                  One thing is for sure. SATA is way past it's shelf life. I can't believe we are still at the point where they are just starting to roll it out to the data centers. It will be at least another decade before it trickles down to consumers.
                  maja6.jpg

(obligatory 5 chars)

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post

maja6.jpg

(obligatory 5 chars)
                    Fuck off.

Comment

Working...
                    X