Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Apple Silicon PCIe Driver Queued For Linux 5.16

Phoronix: Apple Silicon PCIe Driver Queued For Linux 5.16

Queued this week into the Linux PCI subsystem's "next" branch is the Apple PCIe driver needed to enable PCI Express support for Apple SoCs such as the M1...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I'm so glad that Apple still uses PCIe (at least), because at this level of closed-ness Apple may as well have created its own bus and protocol...
    Last edited by tildearrow; 20 October 2021, 02:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
      I'm so glad that Apple still uses PCIe, because at this level of closed-ness Apple may as well have created its own bus and protocol...
      Hopefully they're not reading comments here, otherwise we can easily guess what's going to be in their pipeline for the next iteration.

Comment

I'm so glad that Apple still uses PCIe, because at this level of closed-ness Apple may as well have created its own bus and protocol...
        Not completely; NVMe on the new Mac M1 hardware "breaks the spec in multiple ways", see https://asahilinux.org/2021/10/progr...eptember-2021/ for more details.

Comment

Man, I can't wait to try the M1X. Yes, I know people don't think we should be rewarding Apple for this. You don't have to. They make Apple hardware to run Apple software. As a company, it makes sense for them. For the Linux/open-source community, not so much. But these MBP's have all the good stuff the old ones had (shout out to my 2010 MBP that's still running strong running GNU/Linux).

I was originally was expecting to just run macOS on that thing, but to be able to run Linux will be a straight up joy.

I buy Apple products for their hardware; the software is a bonus. (a big bonus).

Comment

Half of me wants to buy one of those, smack a Linux in it and see how it goes, and how it would function as a daily driver for me.

The other half doesn't want to throw money at Apple.

It's great to see reverse engineering M1 progress at a good pace! We saw the day Microsoft entering open aource world, maybe we'll get to live the day when Apple pushes drivers upstream...

Comment

Originally posted by direc85 View Post
              Half of me wants to buy one of those, smack a Linux in it and see how it goes, and how it would function as a daily driver for me.

It's great to see reverse engineering M1 progress at a good pace! We saw the day Microsoft entering open aource world, maybe we'll get to live the day when Apple pushes drivers upstream...
              Yeah but the GPU though: https://rosenzweig.io/blog/asahi-gpu-part-4.html
              glxgears?

Comment

Originally posted by Laughing1 View Post

Yeah but the GPU though: https://rosenzweig.io/blog/asahi-gpu-part-4.html
                glxgears?
                The GPU will come in time. It took a couple of years to get panfrost to where it is now. This time should hopefully be faster since it's not the first driver she's ever written.

Comment

Originally posted by direc85 View Post

Fuckit. throw money at apple. You're buying it because A) they bothered to make it fast and B) it's open enough to run linux.

You're providing incentives for exactly what you want them to do. Next one isn't open? you won't be buying it anyway.

Comment

I'm so glad that Apple still uses PCIe (at least), because at this level of closed-ness Apple may as well have created its own bus and protocol...
                    That's a load of crap.

Comment

Working...
                    X