Realtek 802.11ax WiFi Driver "rtw89" Queued Ahead Of Linux 5.16

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gusar View Post
    Realtek's PCIe and USB driver teams are literally in different countries. Very different parts of the company. That's why support for PCIe chips is generally ok, while drivers for USB devices are the mess you've described.
    Actually, many of these cards are actually SDIO modules planted on both M.2 cards and USB modules, from what I could see, and support is abysmal, regardless of PCIe or USB (it could be due to their SDIO support being horrible).

Realtek audio is generally okay, even on USB, while Realtek Ethernet is stable... but underperforming, regardless of the connector/protocol (though I have been getting a few reports that things have been improving on that front).

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
      Do you prefer Intel Wi-Fi or Realtec Wi-Fi or Atheros Wi-Fi or Wi-Fi from some other manufacturer?
      And why?
      I prefer Intel Wi-Fi as it is the most stable and works. Sadly the only laptop I have with Intel Wi-Fi is dead...

I abhor Broadcom Wi-Fi as none of the drivers work.
      The open-source one stalls when uploading a bit too much, and the proprietary one doesn't play well with real-time kernels and often fails to connect to a hidden network (and/or takes too long) which causes KDE to think that the password is wrong.

Comment

Do you prefer Intel Wi-Fi or Realtec Wi-Fi or Atheros Wi-Fi or Wi-Fi from some other manufacturer?
        And why?
        It depends.
        Qualcomm/Atheros is pretty good (hardware and Linux support), but is used primary in Access Points and barely available in "normal" computers.
        Realtek is a mixed bag: While they care for in-kernel Linux support for some of their devices, they completely don't for others.
        Intel has good hardware and Linux support, but the required firmware is notorious to be unstable. Additionally Intel does not allow you to set up a AP on 5 GHz.
        Currently I'd go for Mediatek. But only the newer chips, and with a recent kernel. They started at total crap, but have put a lot of effort into their Linux support in the last years.

Comment

Originally posted by moriel5 View Post
          I'm curious, since I have been hearing (inconsistent) reports about Realtek's Wireless-AX cards having fewer issues than their predecessors (OS-agnostic, since generally Windows users have it worse than Linux users with Realtek, stability-wise), is there any truth to this?
          My experience with Realtek wifi chips was the opposite.

They work on Windows always but not so great.

On Linux OOB most of those Realtek wifi chips doesn't even work. You have to use out of tree drivers+ make adjustments to make it usable.

Linux users should priotirize Intel and Qualcomm/Atheros chips imo, if that is an option.

Realtek wifi is just nothing but pain.

Comment

Currently i use Intel AX210s, but their firmware embeeded regulatory DB is out of date and you canĀ“t override it. So here in germany WiFi 6E is not possible with it, although the regulatory body assigned the frequencies some months ago.

I am courious if Huawei / Hisilicon will release any stand-alone client chip which can be integrated onto an M.2 card or inside an USB-Dongle.. They have the Gigahome W650 SOC which has a very good 802.11ax Implementation for a very low price. They also have a similar MAC/PHY integrated into their smartphone SOCs, however no stand-alone chip as of today.. They still use Intel Cards in their own Matebook series..

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

I prefer Intel Wi-Fi as it is the most stable and works. Sadly the only laptop I have with Intel Wi-Fi is dead...

I abhor Broadcom Wi-Fi as none of the drivers work.
              The open-source one stalls when uploading a bit too much, and the proprietary one doesn't play well with real-time kernels and often fails to connect to a hidden network (and/or takes too long) which causes KDE to think that the password is wrong.
              I personally had never had any issues with the proprietary Broadcom drivers on Solus, and our wireless networks are hidden, and with the open source driver (again, on Solus), I did not have stalling issues, however throughput was low.

Comment

Originally posted by Leopard View Post

My experience with Realtek wifi chips was the opposite.

They work on Windows always but not so great.

On Linux OOB most of those Realtek wifi chips doesn't even work. You have to use out of tree drivers+ make adjustments to make it usable.

Linux users should priotirize Intel and Qualcomm/Atheros chips imo, if that is an option.

Realtek wifi is just nothing but pain.
                I didn't say they don't work at all on Windows, just that the stability is far worse than on Linux (at best, they are only semi-stable).
                Nor did I say that they work OOTB on Linux, I was merely referring to after it is installed.

Realtek WiFi on Linux, takes some time to be brought up on Linux (no thanks to Realtek themselves, it is volunteers such as lwfinger that fix Realtek's garbage code), however over time become reliable (though underperforming). Windows, on the other hand doesn't benefit from that, so any bugs on Windows either stay the same or get worse, never better.

Comment

Originally posted by Spacefish View Post
                  Currently i use Intel AX210s, but their firmware embeeded regulatory DB is out of date and you canĀ“t override it. So here in germany WiFi 6E is not possible with it, although the regulatory body assigned the frequencies some months ago.
                  Qualcomm pulls the same crap, their regulatory info is also embedded and completely out of date and I haven't seen it being updated at all.
                  OEM-s appear to have a way around it though, but I haven't found how.

Comment

I have rtl8821ce, rtl8822bu and rtl8723cs which work but don't support WPA3. On the other hand with rtl8723be the connection is stable compared to 2014. Sometimes I have to unload the kernel modules to make it work again after suspend. (rmmod rtl8723be rtl8723-common btcoexist rtl-pci rtlwifi). As always many thanks to the developers.

Comment

And why?
                      I've always had great experience (and luck) with Intel chips. Now that I use an AX201, and its Bluetooth stability is barely adequate, I think that's the only real issue I have ever had.

Realtek... I should zip my lips. I have not found a stable USB WiFi adapter yet. No matter the OS; Windows and Linux both suffer from the poor quality of the drivers and/or chips. My current ZyXEL w/Realtek is a pain to set up. I have to use an out of the tree driver from GitHub with a pinned version in order for it to work at all, and even then it's once or twice a week I'll have to replug it or reboot the computer. (Model details coming later today.)

The few times I have used an Atheros adapter it has gone quite well, not much to say about it.

A few Ralink chips has also passed my hands, they also worked without any considerable fight.

My second laptop used a Broadcom chip, with b32-legacy driver and fwcutter and all the fun stuff, but it did work like a clock!

Does anyone know if there are any Intel USB WiFi adapters available? I couldn't find any...

Comment

Working...
                      X