Linux Achieves 5.1M IOPS Per-Core With AMD Zen 3 + Intel Optane

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by onlyLinuxLuvUBack View Post

Where can you sell me this drive ? and does it come with a bridge ?
    Alder Lake is not a drive, it's a cpu and he's right, early leaked benchmarks show that Intel may regain the performance crown, albeit at a price hike

The thought that Intel will not eventually retake the performance crown is silly, years ago, back in the P4 days, AMD was able to kill Intel in IPC and what happened, Intel released Conroe and AMD went into a downward spiral that took a decade to recover from.

Intel has a market cap of 217 billion dollars, AMD has a market cap of 123 billion, AMD has certainly closed the cap between the two but Intel still has the deeper pockets and I find it hard to believe that they won't regain the lead again.

Comment

Originally posted by sophisticles View Post
      Intel has a market cap of 217 billion dollars, AMD has a market cap of 123 billion, AMD has certainly closed the cap between the two but Intel still has the deeper pockets and I find it hard to believe that they won't regain the lead again.
      What I find interesting about that is that a chunk of Intels market cap has to be refleceting the fact that they own foundries where as AMD long ago ditched theirs. I wonder how the market is valuing just the products that they produce.

Comment

Alder Lake is not a drive, it's a cpu and he's right, early leaked benchmarks show that Intel may regain the performance crown, albeit at a price hike

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/co...he-singularity

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/co...new-benchmarks

https://www.forbes.com/sites/antonyl...ke-processors/

https://hothardware.com/news/intel-a...-asus-rog-z690

The thought that Intel will not eventually retake the performance crown is silly, years ago, back in the P4 days, AMD was able to kill Intel in IPC and what happened, Intel released Conroe and AMD went into a downward spiral that took a decade to recover from.

you gave me a good laugh it will also come with a free fire extinguisher,
        he already said the amd maxed the drive how's intel going to get more IOPS?

AMD is already talkin next-zen and milan-x ? Intel is still working on the laces in their shoes.

Last edited by onlyLinuxLuvUBack; 30 September 2021, 04:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ermo View Post
          ...competitive with equivalently priced AMD systems (which also support ECC, even if only "unofficially").
          There actually is one Ryzen board that officially supports ECC: Asus Pro WS X570-ACE

Comment

Originally posted by ermo View Post
            When both Jens Axboe and Linus Torvalds use prosumer-level AMD hardware (with ECC RAM) for their Linux work, you know AMD must be doing something right...
            Greg Kroah-Hartman also uses a Threadripper 3970X.

Or they have corporate sponsorship and they didn't buy these systems themselves.

I have no proof that they received their systems for free...
            This Zdnet article reports that Linus built his own PC.

Greg received his from Wendell Wilson at Level 1 Techs, who run a Youtube channel friendly to Linux, and you can see that system being built here. In the video, Wendell says he sourced parts from vendor donations for the build.

I didn't see anything about Jens' computer.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
              All signs seem to indicate with Alder Lake he'll be able to push past 5.1M.
              In the linked tweet discussions he tested again with a 2nd Optane drive but restraining the test to a single core still. The limit per core was 5.5M IOPS for the Zen3 system.

As already mentioned though the Optane drive itself is already at peak performance, it's own controller can't handle more IOPS than was achieved. You'll have to wait for a new Optane product, or do the same dual Optane test to compare per-core capability.

Comment

For me, the main take-away from this article is that io_uring doesn't have its own logo!* How can this be???

Quick! Someone make an OS-tan type mascot holding a khakkhara with two rings!

* Source: see original tweet.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
                  I just wish more software would use this IO_uring.
                  It has to be stuff that would gain a benefit from it. Apps that fundamentally need synchronous I/O won't gain much by switching.

Also, he's using a datacenter-grade storage device. If you do direct I/O on even the best consumer devices (e.g. Samsung 980 Pro), you'd do well to get 1/5th of that throughput. Now, if you do cached I/O and the data you want is in cache, then the IOPS boost you'd get from io_uring could be really nice.

Comment

Originally posted by Kraut View Post
                    There actually is one Ryzen board that officially supports ECC: Asus Pro WS X570-ACE
                    I haven't really followed support among workstation boards, but I thought there were more than that.

ASRock Rack makes some Ryzen mini-ITX and micro-ATX server boards that have official ECC support.

Comment

Originally posted by onlyLinuxLuvUBack View Post
                      Where can you sell me this drive ?
                      The drive he's using is this:

Sadly, it's well outside my budget.

Comment

Working...
                      X