Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Melcar
    replied
    Realtek is everywhere. Chances are whatever device you are using now has some sort of Realtek chip. I do try to avoid them too, particularly in the lan/wlan front, and make my purchasing decisions based on that. Unfortunately in some things you can't avoid them it seems (onboard sound on motherboards for example).

Leave a comment:

• binarybanana
    replied
    My Realtek PCIe WiFi NIC crashes the whole machine without an out-of-tree patch when I use WDS/4addr mode and create bridges over the WiFi connection. The kernel also prints scary warnings when I move the phy0/wlan0 interface to a different namespace/container (something about antenna properties that the container is trying to set), but nothing bad seems to happen.

Overall I'm satisfied with how it performs (yay, I can blast 1W worth of power through the radio), it supports WPA3, management fame protection and KRACK countermeasures, but the driver certainly could be improved.

Leave a comment:

• atomsymbol
    replied
    As I mentioned previously in Phoronix forums some months ago, it is in my opinion a waste of time and resources to develop the low-level code of network and sound card drivers for each OS separately (Windows, Linux, etc). A unified operating system layer for implementing such drivers would be beneficial to Linux, considering the fact that most of such devices have Windows drivers.

Leave a comment:

• intelfx
    replied
    Originally posted by callegar View Post
    From the development repo of Larry Finger:
    > please create /etc/NetworkManager/conf.d/80-wifi.conf with content:
    Code:
    [device]
    wifi.scan-rand-mac-address=no
    It is [device], not [device XXX]. Seems a confirmation that NM really does not consider the case of having multiple wifi adaptors (which is not so uncommon if you have a malfunctioning or poorly supported or obsolete internal adaptor in a laptop, for instance). If you do something for an adaptor you do it for all. Seems to go hand in hand with the fact that if you rfkill one device and you have more than one, NM disables wireless altogether.
    Any clue on whether this will ever be addressed?
    At the exact time when you look at the NetworkManager.conf man page

Code:
    DEVICE SECTION
    Contains per-device persistent configuration.

Example:

[device]
    match-device=interface-name:eth3
    managed=1

Supported Properties
    The following properties can be configured per-device.

<...>

wifi.scan-rand-mac-address
    That's the problem with tutorials and howtos — they insinuate that the described way is the only one, or the best one, or the recommended one. Which is often not the case.

Leave a comment:

• mlau
    replied
    Originally posted by cytomax55 View Post
    Honestly why does anyone use realtek in Linux... I have it built into my mobo and bought a Intel nice for like $20 never had an issue
    I remember some board maker representative once noting that these Realtek chips are so cheap if bought in bulk, that they put them on every board. they are cheaper than just putting a phy for the amd and intel integrated macs on a board. the windows drivers are good enough, the majority of people doesn't care that they can't saturate a gbit link.

Leave a comment:

• callegar
    replied
    From the development repo of Larry Finger:
    > please create /etc/NetworkManager/conf.d/80-wifi.conf with content:
    Code:
    [device]
    wifi.scan-rand-mac-address=no
    It is [device], not [device XXX]. Seems a confirmation that NM really does not consider the case of having multiple wifi adaptors (which is not so uncommon if you have a malfunctioning or poorly supported or obsolete internal adaptor in a laptop, for instance). If you do something for an adaptor you do it for all. Seems to go hand in hand with the fact that if you rfkill one device and you have more than one, NM disables wireless altogether.
    Any clue on whether this will ever be addressed?

Leave a comment:

• Sonadow
    replied
    Originally posted by cytomax55 View Post
    Honestly why does anyone use realtek in Linux...
    Try finding any modern USB wifi device supporting 802.11ac that is not made by Realtek or Mediatek.
    Otherwise keep quiet.

Leave a comment:

• cytomax55
    replied
    Honestly why does anyone use realtek in Linux... I have it built into my mobo and bought a Intel nice for like $20 never had an issue

Leave a comment:

• linner
    replied
    I'd like to see some love towards a proper RTL88x2BU driver in the kernel. Been using a 3rd-party driver for way too long.

Leave a comment:

• tuxd3v
    replied
    I have a rtl8153b usb-to-ethernet nic..
    The driver(rtl8152) is awful..

The hardware itself, only has hardware receiving buffers, transmitting buffers are not present, they should maybe consider a buffer on the usb side..
    If the device if pushed above 50% of bandwidth, like executing a iperf3 test to try to saturate the port, passing through it several gigabytes of Data... is a mess..

The kernel driver resets the device, several times, and at each reset is generate..guess what..yeah a random mac address for it..
    I went to realtek site,
    Downloaded the last version of the kernel module, at the time, and mitigated the problem, on reset for the driver to maintain the same mac address..

I didn't pursued a more longer investigation on why, it resets so frequently, and for what I know a lot of devices have this usb-to-ethernet converters, which are a mess.. plagued with resets.. only if you don't saturate the ports there behaviour is a lot better, resetting with a lot less frequency..

I suspect the same behaviour of pcie-to-ethernet adaptors..

Leave a comment:

Working...
X