• Time
  • Show
Clear All
    tuxd3v

• tuxd3v
    replied
    I have a rtl8153b usb-to-ethernet nic..
    The driver(rtl8152) is awful..

The hardware itself, only has hardware receiving buffers, transmitting buffers are not present, they should maybe consider a buffer on the usb side..
    If the device if pushed above 50% of bandwidth, like executing a iperf3 test to try to saturate the port, passing through it several gigabytes of Data... is a mess..

The kernel driver resets the device, several times, and at each reset is generate..guess what..yeah a random mac address for it..
    I went to realtek site,
    Downloaded the last version of the kernel module, at the time, and mitigated the problem, on reset for the driver to maintain the same mac address..

I didn't pursued a more longer investigation on why, it resets so frequently, and for what I know a lot of devices have this usb-to-ethernet converters, which are a mess.. plagued with resets.. only if you don't saturate the ports there behaviour is a lot better, resetting with a lot less frequency..

I suspect the same behaviour of pcie-to-ethernet adaptors..

Leave a comment:

• Mangix

• Mangix
    replied
    I find it funny there's an uostream rtl81xxxu driver that seems to be abandoned, that is, no new features. It still only does monitor and client mode only.

Leave a comment:

• ThoreauHD

• ThoreauHD
    replied
    I find it amazing that realtek is still a trash company in 2021. It has to be a government front. That's the only way they could have survived so long with windows 95 only drivers on a isdn connected website.

Leave a comment:

• phoronix
    Administrator

• Linux 5.15 Staging Replaces Its Realtek RTL8188EU WiFi Driver

Phoronix: Linux 5.15 Staging Replaces Its Realtek RTL8188EU WiFi Driver

The staging updates for Linux 5.15 continue to have a lot of code churn including some drivers being promoted while one Realtek WiFi driver has been replaced...

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...x-5.15-Staging
Working...
X