Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux 5.15 To Allow Reading From The Nintendo OTP Memory Area

Phoronix: Linux 5.15 To Allow Reading From The Nintendo OTP Memory Area

For hobbyists that enjoy tinkering around with Linux running on the Nintendo Wii or Wii U game consoles, a new driver coming for Linux 5.15 allows accessing the specialized OTP read-only memory area that contains the encryption/decryption keys and other data...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

OTP is a bank in Europe. Why did anyone think it's a good idea to call anything kernel related the same thing? Will Linux 5.16 also feature some new driver called Erste Bank? Why ? WTF?

Comment

Originally posted by eydee View Post
      OTP is a bank in Europe. Why did anyone think it's a good idea to call anything kernel related the same thing?
      I'm European and I've never heard of that bank.

Comment

Most TLAs (Three Letter Acronyms) are heavily overloaded. It is not a big deal.

Oh and I'm European and have never heard of that bank either.

Comment

OTP is a hungarian bank, its also in Croatia where I live but its a small one compared to the others.

Comment

I only know OTP from fandoms. There it stand for "one true pairing".

Comment

small private bank for rich? I have never heard of that bank ...

btw DB (Database or Deutsche Bahn)

edit wiki : OTP stands for Országos Takarék Pénztár (National Savings Bank)
              The bank is serving clients in 10 countries, namely Hungary, Bulgaria, Serbia, Romania, Croatia, Ukraine, Montenegro, Albania and Russia
              Last edited by CochainComplex; 13 August 2021, 01:21 PM.

Comment

OTP is a bank in Europe. Why did anyone think it's a good idea to call anything kernel related the same thing? Will Linux 5.16 also feature some new driver called Erste Bank? Why ? WTF?
                It's also an acronym for "one time password" used in 2FA, guess we should just dump that one too.

Are you the kind of person who, when she can't find something to complain about, she makes something up out of thin air that is of no consequence, just to be butthurt over?

Comment

What's the Water Task Force going to accomplish here?

Opiate Treatment Program
                  One Time Password
                  One True Pairing
                  Over That P*ssy
                  On The Phone
                  Ornery Taco Pessimist
                  One Time Programming

Comment

Who do you think that's going to confuse? Is this the first time you've ever run into to things sharing the same acronym? It's not even it's name, its an acronym to describe a type of memory: One-Time Programmable.

Comment

Working...
                    X