Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Logitech MX1100 Cordless Laser Mouse

Phoronix: Logitech MX1100 Cordless Laser Mouse

Logitech is one of the leading manufacturers of computer peripherals, including keyboards and mice, and with that, they have an immense selection of products. Among the different Logitech mice are ones with interchangeable grips, custom-color LEDs, and even an air mouse, but one of the newest members of the Logitech MX family is the MX1100. The Logitech MX1100 is a cordless laser mouse that is designed to not only be wireless but also provide extremely comfort. Will this Logitech cordless laser mouse work under Linux though?

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I got that one since 2 months now. Fully satisfied, even if I would really appreciate to be able to tune the DPI directly in Linux.

Comment

So why is the 1600 dpi a limit to you? Do you have a mouse that does 3000dpi (sensor readings?) that works better? Do you also adjust the sensitivty and acceleration values?

I think you could expand on this review quite abit, esp with some comparision to other mice. Esp one with 3000dpi.

Personally, I'm happy with my optical mice, but my laptop one is biting the dust.

Oh yeah, for a road warrior, the large USB dongle is a pain, I really like the new ones which are just a bump on the side, so much better to be able to just leave the USB dongle in a USB port all the time, so you don't forget it.

Also, does this mouse have a pocket where you can store the dongle to keep them together when you're not using it? Maybe not as big an issue for desktop mice as opposed to notebook/netbook mice.

Thanks for the review, I do think it's good!

John

Comment

Also, does this mouse have a pocket where you can store the dongle to keep them together when you're not using it? Maybe not as big an issue for desktop mice as opposed to notebook/netbook mice.
        It doesn't look like the bottom of the mouse has a receiver for the dongle based on the pictures in the article. At least nothing in the style of the MS laptop mouse I have.

Other than that, this mouse really looks a lot like the Logitech MX Revolution, but without a few of the extra buttons and the thumb wheel, and also with AA's and not a rechargeable battery. I really like my Revolution, but it does have issues with range. If I have the mouse any more than 2 feet from the dongle, my reception is pretty spotty, and my mouse movement gets choppy.

I've got a USB hub in my monitor, so I've just plugged the dongle into that, but for people who keep their computer on the floor on the left of the desk, that can be an issue. Hopefully Logitech has fixed that issue between the Revolution and this model.

Comment

As an owner of this mouse, I can tell you that the USB transmitter stick can't be hold in the mouse for transport. The transmitter is sized like an USB drive. Take this mouse as a desktop mouse, not a notebook mouse.
          The mouse itself is rather big, so don't think putting it in your carry bag either.

I don't have noticed any interference (my desktop is on the ground, and the transmitter is plugged on my rig, not on my screen.

I'd rather like that one instead of revolution because of AA cells. You can always change cells as the revolution is equiped with a battery that kills the mouse when the battery is dead. I don't like being forced of changing something working just because Logitech didn't want to design a replacing battery. MX AIR battery is working the same way as the revolution.

Comment

I definitely agree with Fixxer here. This mouse is definitely not sized for portability. Good for the desktop, not so good for the briefcase. The use of AA batteries is kind of a wash for me. You can replace the batteries whenever needed, and it means that you're not stuck with a battery that only holds an hour's charge in a few years, but it also means you get to spend money occasionally on new batteries (unless you use rechargeables in the mouse that don't have a high self-drainage rate).

And as I said in my last post, it could be that they fixed the range issue with this model, or maybe it was only ever apparent on the MX Revolution. I know I'm not the only person who has encountered it on that model (Logitech's forums are full of people with the issue; Usually it just results in warrantee replacements that also have the problem).

Generally the mouse being reviewed here looks too be pretty good. It doesn't have the infinite scroll feature, which is a shame. Beyond that, I never use the thumb wheel and side buttons, so this mouse would make a fairly good stand-in for the one I've got, if I didn't already have an MX518 sitting on my desk just in case my batteries die and need charging (needs it about weekly). If this had been on the market when I bought my MX Revolution 6 months ago, I probably would have picked this up instead.

Comment

Originally posted by Veerappan View Post
              It doesn't have the infinite scroll feature, which is a shame.
              If you call "infinite scroll feature" the fact that you can change "on the fly" the scrolling wheel between serrated mode on/off, I can then ensure you that this mouse can do it.
              It's changed on the fly, by pressing a "mechanical" button. I say "mechanical" because it doesn't depend on drivers to switch and the change is not software driven. So it works with linux or even when the mouse is turned off !
              I heard that the revolution has this functionnality by half-pressing the wheel. The MX1100 has another button that changes the wheel. The MX1100 way is far more convenient according to people having tried both systems.

Comment

Does hal/gnome-power-manager support low battery reporting for the MX1100?

Comment

Originally posted by l8gravely View Post
                  So why is the 1600 dpi a limit to you? Do you have a mouse that does 3000dpi (sensor readings?) that works better? Do you also adjust the sensitivty and acceleration values?

I think you could expand on this review quite abit, esp with some comparision to other mice. Esp one with 3000dpi.
                  Michael reviewed a 4000 DPI Razer in September

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Comment

No button 10

The MX1100 is big, but i really like it. Especially the free-mode on the scoll wheel.

One other thing that works, in Firefox I can press the scrollwheel and get "scoll mode", the dubbelpointed arrow. Can scroll by movig the mouse, increase the scroll speed by moving the moouse pointer further down. This didn't work with my previous logitech mouse.

But do anyone of you have any idea why my stealth button ins't working, I get no button 10 with xev
                    Ubuntu 8.10 2.6.27-11-generic

Comment

Working...
                    X