Logitech MX1100 Cordless Laser Mouse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For gaming?

I've read a lot of gamers complain that the wireless mouse is too laggy for high speed gaming (Warsow/Urban Terror) compared with the wired variants. I've had a wired Logitech for several years and it's getting a little worn down. Are there any hardened gamers who think these Logitech wireless mice are up to the challenge?

Comment

Originally posted by Nexus6 View Post
      I've read a lot of gamers complain that the wireless mouse is too laggy for high speed gaming (Warsow/Urban Terror) compared with the wired variants. I've had a wired Logitech for several years and it's getting a little worn down. Are there any hardened gamers who think these Logitech wireless mice are up to the challenge?
      Yes, me !

I'm playing quite every night at UT2004, ONS mode. This mouse is very good for gaming, I don't feel any particular lag. Well, that said, I feel far more the lag from my 24" LCD screen (about average 2 fps).
      However, even if I can feel the LCD input lag, that doesn't prevent me of doing good scores. I'm often in the best players of the map, and the server has a strong general skill.
      That didn't change my general level as I used a wired logitech mouse (an old one, probably @ 400 dpi) with a CRT screen.
      The feeling is not the same, but it's very playable. And I'm talking just about the screen.

The input generated by the mouse, IMO, is really not sensitive.

Hope this helps

Comment

Originally posted by Fixxer_Linux View Post
        If you call "infinite scroll feature" the fact that you can change "on the fly" the scrolling wheel between serrated mode on/off, I can then ensure you that this mouse can do it.
        It's changed on the fly, by pressing a "mechanical" button. I say "mechanical" because it doesn't depend on drivers to switch and the change is not software driven. So it works with linux or even when the mouse is turned off !
        I heard that the revolution has this functionnality by half-pressing the wheel. The MX1100 has another button that changes the wheel. The MX1100 way is far more convenient according to people having tried both systems.
        You can enable/disable the clutch via a half-press if you want, but there's also an auto-sensing mechanism built into it as well. You can start scrolling up/down with the ratcheting in place, but if you give the scroll wheel a quick flick and lift your finger, it goes into the ratchet-less mode until it slows down after a while (I've previously had it cruise for 10-20 seconds already). If the MX1100 can do that, then I would call them functionally equivalent. I believe that this feature is software controlled on the revolution, so it might be something that can be done for both... maybe.

Comment

Originally posted by Veerappan View Post
          You can enable/disable the clutch via a half-press if you want, but there's also an auto-sensing mechanism built into it as well. You can start scrolling up/down with the ratcheting in place, but if you give the scroll wheel a quick flick and lift your finger, it goes into the ratchet-less mode until it slows down after a while (I've previously had it cruise for 10-20 seconds already). If the MX1100 can do that, then I would call them functionally equivalent. I believe that this feature is software controlled on the revolution, so it might be something that can be done for both... maybe.
          For the MX1100 that I'm owning, the clutch is not enabled/disabled by half-pressing the mouse wheel as it is on the revolution. There is a separate button to enable/disable the clutch. This button is mechanical, absolutely not software.

Comment

For the MX1100 that I'm owning, the clutch is not enabled/disabled by half-pressing the mouse wheel as it is on the revolution. There is a separate button to enable/disable the clutch. This button is mechanical, absolutely not software.
            Ok, that makes sense.

For reference (not that you probably wanted to know), the Revolution allows a half-press of the wheel to enable/disable the clutch (if configured to do so by software), but it can also be enabled/disabled by sensing the speed that the wheel is being spun (the threshold is configurable). I'd say that it's software controlled, but that's only partially true. The settings stay applied even after reboots from Windows to Linux, so there is probably some sort of local storage on the mouse that retains those settings.

Comment

Originally posted by Veerappan View Post
              Ok, that makes sense.

For reference (not that you probably wanted to know), the Revolution allows a half-press of the wheel to enable/disable the clutch (if configured to do so by software), but it can also be enabled/disabled by sensing the speed that the wheel is being spun (the threshold is configurable). I'd say that it's software controlled, but that's only partially true. The settings stay applied even after reboots from Windows to Linux, so there is probably some sort of local storage on the mouse that retains those settings.
              Thanks for that precision.
              This one more argument in favor of my MX1100, as this mouse is more OS independant as the Revolution could be.

Comment

Thanks for that precision.
                This one more argument in favor of my MX1100, as this mouse is more OS independant as the Revolution could be.
                You've got me there for now. I'm hoping that sometime soon I can get lomoco working with my Revolution (I haven't really tried yet).

Comment

For those who could be interested, I still haven't changed the AA cells of my MX1100, bought at the end of february 2009. We are in the early days of june.
                  I'm using the mouse for playing UT2004 and I never switch the mouse off (there is a little switch on the mouse that allow to turn the mouse off).
                  The battery gauge on the mouse is still showing itself as indicating "full".

The battery life is impressive, I didn't expect so much to be honnest.
                  The battery is a standard Duracell, the one that I found on the box.

I first was thinking about buying rechargeable AA. When I see that after 4 months of use (3/4 hours per day), the mouse battery gauge still indicates "full", I'll forget to buy rechargeable cells. Good Alkalines or lithium ones will go very well.

I'll post back in that topic when the batteries will be completely dead, to let know how much months of battery life you can expect with that mouse.

Comment

glad to find this thread!
                    I just bought this mouse with the mx5500 keyboard and primarily use it under ubuntu.
                    Does anyone know how to enable to side wheel? That's all that doesnt work for me.
                    I think someone may have called it stealth scroll earlier, but either way its the left scroll button. I believe on windows its supposed to zoom in and out. I dont have any use for zooming in and out, but I'd like to know how to program it, still.

Miesnerd

Comment

Originally posted by miesnerd View Post
                      glad to find this thread!
                      I just bought this mouse with the mx5500 keyboard and primarily use it under ubuntu.
                      Does anyone know how to enable to side wheel? That's all that doesnt work for me.
                      I think someone may have called it stealth scroll earlier, but either way its the left scroll button. I believe on windows its supposed to zoom in and out. I dont have any use for zooming in and out, but I'd like to know how to program it, still.

Miesnerd
                      google for btnx

Comment

Working...
                      X