System76 Launch - A Very Well Built, Highly Configurable, Open-Source Keyboard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post
    A numpad I can understand, but why would you need German keycaps? I don't have German keycaps and I can type German just fine with dead keys, both on QWERTY and Dvorak. I'm Dutch, btw, but German is my 3rd language and I use/write it every day.
    I mean, I think it's probably more of an issue for older non-cosmopolitan Germans who never learned to touch type. When I type chinese on a PC, I use a dvorak-mapped pinyin-based input method since my muscle memory for Dvorak is strong and it's well suited to the way chinese syllables work. On the phone, I use a bopomofo type input method, because there is more flexibility there in terms of layout.

Comment

backlit e-ink or oled on/under every key and I'd buy, but not this is not far out enough.

Comment

It is completely beyond me to whom this product appeals or why. Clunky, heavy, overpriced, ugly. I'm truly scratching my head over here. Is there really a significant contingent of people who want keyboards that light up in rainbow colors and look like they came from 1992? And for $300 no less?? Very odd. Personally I love the latest keyboards from Apple. I wish System76 would try to build a product like that! I'd even pay a premium for it.

Comment

Originally posted by jamesblacklock View Post
          It is completely beyond me to whom this product appeals or why. Clunky, heavy, overpriced, ugly. I'm truly scratching my head over here. Is there really a significant contingent of people who want keyboards that light up in rainbow colors and look like they came from 1992? And for $300 no less?? Very odd. Personally I love the latest keyboards from Apple. I wish System76 would try to build a product like that! I'd even pay a premium for it.
          There are, in fact, a lot of people interested in buying a quality keyboard like this. There are people who spend way more (twice as much) for custom keyboards that lack the integrated 10 Gbps USB hub or fully cross-platform GUI utilities that you get with this one. If you don't like backlights, then turn them off. Easier to have the hardware capabilities with the option to turn them off, than to not have the hardware with no option to use programmable RGB switches at all.

Comment

I like System76 philosophy in principle, but their products so far seem to be a clear miss.

USB3 has no place in keyboard. Keyboard is very low power, very low speed device that can't carry USB3 without consequences.
            OTOH, there would be a clear use for open source keyboard with some decent safety features that would make it more suitable for sensitive work, so that your pin code and passwords couldn't be simply scanned off the keyboard with a cheap SDR etc.

https://www.reddit.com/r/conspiracy/...d_from_rlinux/

Anti-tamper mechanism would be nice, too. And some mechanism for automatic detection of user presence and safe authentication etc.
            That would be a product that people might be willing to spend extra $$$ on.
            Last edited by Brane215; 12 June 2021, 03:06 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by jacek23

says who? This keyboard has a usb hub which is a great idea. Keyboards with built in card readers were a thing in office environment for years. USB in keyboard can be useful to plug in a USBkey, a USB Fido device, digital signature etc. Naturally you can use a dedicated hub for that, but this way you don't have to and you get a cleaner desk.

Digital signature etc are low power, low speed devices. They don't need USB3 along with its power and cabling requirements.

Comment

Well, at least it makes it easier to use external HDDs and SDDs on a desktop configuration. Not to mention smartphones and tethering.

Comment

Working...
                X