No announcement yet.

System76 Launch - A Very Well Built, Highly Configurable, Open-Source Keyboard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't get why System76 back light the switches but then use solid keycaps. Also missed opportunity to use a Pop_OS Rocketship legend for the super key.

Comment

Originally posted by marios View Post
      Also you don't seem to understand that state != people as well.
      Oh no, I do. People say many things they do not actually mean.

Comment

Originally posted by tweak42 View Post
        Also missed opportunity to use a Pop_OS Rocketship legend for the super key.
        This is such a great idea fits with launch theme as well.

Comment

Looks awesome. I love the firmware updates through Gnome Software. The only questions from me are 1) How loud are the key presses? and 2) How long will the key caps remain legible?

I have a nice $80 mechanical keyboard that I quite enjoy but I wouldn’t mind spending this much if I knew it was durable enough to last and pleasant to use.

I used a soft membrane keyboard for at least 12 years (still have it as a backup) so I tend to keep things as long as I can.

Comment

Are you saying that people who hate the U.S. (like me for example) should buy quality goods from China?

PS. I don't hate the people who live in the US but the state.
            Well, if your fate is tied to PRC then you should buy quality goods from China. Hating an enemy of a people or state isn't a good enough reason to buy from that state, you have to actually love the people you are supporting with your commerce for it to make sense.

Put another way: don't bring your commerce to a country that will tax their people to pay for the weapons that are aimed at your friends and family. Loving America, or loving the people of Taiwan, are good enough reasons to avoid doing business with PRC; and so is hating genocide.
            Last edited by microcode; 11 June 2021, 12:02 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by davidhendricks View Post

Bear in mind that it's solid aluminum. AFAICT the price tag is comparable to other premium keyboards made of the same material, but System76's is open source and made in the USA.

Of course what it comes down to is how it feels for the user. People (and businesses) spend thousands on furniture to avoid RSI, maximize productivity, etc. <$300 for a great keyboard is a small price to pay in the grand scheme of things, especially if you depend on it to make a living.
              Yes i know its made from aluminum. The comment wasn't about the materials and the construction. The looks is what doesn't feel like 300$.

Comment

Another open source and good quality keyboard: https://shop.mntmn.com/products/mnt-...ard-standalone

Comment

Do you even understand that state != ground?
                  If state is ground, then how come some seas are within state territories (no matter what country)?

Comment

Originally posted by obri View Post
                    I would consider buying it if it had a numpad an german keycaps.
                    A numpad I can understand, but why would you need German keycaps? I don't have German keycaps and I can type German just fine with dead keys, both on QWERTY and Dvorak. I'm Dutch, btw, but German is my 3rd language and I use/write it every day.

Comment

I wonder how expensive it would be to make a keyboard out of something heavier, like stainless steel or brass. Anodized aluminium looks cool, but in general I would prefer a keyboard be heavier.

Maybe there's room inside for some tungsten weights.

Comment

Working...
                      X