X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by smartalgorithm View Post
    $300 ?!
    No, thank you.
    I would gladly pay $300 for just the right keyboard.
    Fortunately, I didn't have to and mine is still only $59 on Amazon.

Comment

Originally posted by OneTimeShot View Post
      Wouldn't it be better to just get a cheapo keyboard and replace the chips? I'm sure that there aren't more than half a dozen wiring patterns for the keys, and plugging into that would be a lot easier than manufacturing an entire keyboard.

If you do want to build a keyboard from scratch you just need to print a PCB and solder 100+ cherry switches onto it. There are YouTube tutorials on how to do it...
      One reason for it, is doing a greater proportion of the manufacturing chain in the U.S.

For those of us with the cash on hand, it can be worthwhile to buy quality goods manufactured primarily outside of PRC, which is an openly hostile adversary of the U.S.

Comment

Originally posted by microcode View Post

One reason for it, is doing a greater proportion of the manufacturing chain in the U.S.

For those of us with the cash on hand, it can be worthwhile to buy quality goods manufactured primarily outside of PRC, which is an openly hostile adversary of the U.S.
        Well... assembled from Chinese parts in the US. Not that buying from the USA is popular in Europe these days, anyway.

Comment

The overall industrial design doesn't look like 300$. I don't doubt that its well made but it just doesn't look nice enough. HHKB POK3R etc look much much better.

Comment

My Corsair K65 RGB RapidFire cost me only £100 iirc. And for its price did I get a piece of configuration software (iCUE 4.x, 768MB download), which requires the small amount of 2GB of disk space and occasionally messes up the lighting. What a boon!

These keyboards have a long road ahead in terms of quality, longevity, software support and price. It sure is a nice toy.

Comment

Originally posted by OneTimeShot View Post
              Not that buying from the USA is popular in Europe these days, anyway.
              Hey, if W. Europe wants to send their wealth to people who hate them and want only their submission, that's their business I guess. Seems to be the popular option for energy as well.

Comment

Kailh Box Jade or Kailh Box Royal switches
                It would be nice to have some non-clicky switch choices for that steep of a price.

Originally posted by NateHubbard View Post
                Fortunately, I didn't have to and mine is still only $59 on Amazon.
                Do you have a Logitech K845 Mechanical like me?

Comment

Originally posted by 89c51 View Post
                  The overall industrial design doesn't look like 300$. I don't doubt that its well made but it just doesn't look nice enough. HHKB POK3R etc look much much better.
                  Bear in mind that it's solid aluminum. AFAICT the price tag is comparable to other premium keyboards made of the same material, but System76's is open source and made in the USA.

Of course what it comes down to is how it feels for the user. People (and businesses) spend thousands on furniture to avoid RSI, maximize productivity, etc. <$300 for a great keyboard is a small price to pay in the grand scheme of things, especially if you depend on it to make a living.

Comment

My god.... It's hideous!

Comment

The price really isn't that bad considering what it is. Mechanical keyboards are always more expensive, and it is made in the US where labor costs are higher than they are for companies that get their keyboards made overseas. That all said, I'm going to stick with my Das Keyboard at home and Sun Type 5c at work. I've never gotten used to not having a numpad. If they make a full-size variant, sign me up.

Comment

Working...
                      X