NVMe 2.0 Released As A Library Of Specifications With ZNS, Simple Copy + More

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ix900 View Post
    Rotational media through NVMe. Okay then.
    Server vendors will be able to use a single common protocol and connector for all of the drive bays instead of having to manufacture and configure various backplanes for different HD/SSD splits. Customers won't be stuck with n HD's and n SSD's as they can use whichever they want in any bay.
    Last edited by Slithery; 03 June 2021, 08:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Slithery View Post

Server vendors will be able to use a single common protocol and connector for all of the drive bays instead of having to manufacture and configure various backplanes for different HD/SSD splits. Customers won't be stuck with n HD's and n SSD's as they can use whichever they want in any bay.
      They can just use a single something else anyway. It doesn't have to be NVMe. But it doesn't matter anyway as they did it

Comment

So how exactly do I connect my future NVMe HDD to the mobo? Is there a spec for this cable? I wonder if they will be able to implement it with the AM5 boards?

Comment

What about more data priority levels? Mark Cerny, the lead architect of the PS5 criticized the Nvme protocol for only having two true priority levels.

Comment

Originally posted by ssokolow View Post

That reminds me.

I need to research a good SATA port multiplexer to buy a couple of next time I want to upgrade my capacity. My motherboard's SATA ports are full but I've got a couple of free internal drive bays and none of my bulk-storage drives exceed half of what a SATA-III link can do.
            Maybe a PCIe card with internal SATA ports?

Comment

Originally posted by MadeUpName View Post
              So how exactly do I connect my future NVMe HDD to the mobo? Is there a spec for this cable? I wonder if they will be able to implement it with the AM5 boards?
              server already have nvme U2 drive since years

with cables like this one:

they are some pci-express connector for desktop mobo. (I have 1mini-itx at home when a pcie card + nvme U2 drive)

Comment

Originally posted by spirit View Post

server already have nvme U2 drive since years

with cables like this one:

they are some pci-express connector for desktop mobo. (I have 1mini-itx at home when a pcie card + nvme U2 drive)
                I never understood why they did not just go with the U.2 plug instead of the bare M.2. Cost savings? Just give me a cable (though the U.2 cables are rather pricey compared to SATA cables) instead of having to dick around with small M.2 gum sick drives. It only clutters the mother board and having to remove drives can be an annoyance.

Comment

Working...
                X