No announcement yet.

NVMe 2.0 Released As A Library Of Specifications With ZNS, Simple Copy + More

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NVMe 2.0 Released As A Library Of Specifications With ZNS, Simple Copy + More

Phoronix: NVMe 2.0 Released As A Library Of Specifications With ZNS, Simple Copy + More

NVM Express Inc today published NVMe 2.0 as a family/library of specifications rather than being a monolithic specification in order to allow them to advance faster and independently of each other...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

So fragmentation it is then...

Comment

Wasn't ZNS part of the previous spec too?

Comment

This looks a lot like RISC-V in where implementations are only required to implement the base spec...
        Prepare to see enterprise NVMe devices that support the full feature set.

Comment

Rotational media through NVMe. Okay then.

Comment

Originally posted by ix900 View Post
            That reminds me.

I need to research a good SATA port multiplexer to buy a couple of next time I want to upgrade my capacity. My motherboard's SATA ports are full but I've got a couple of free internal drive bays and none of my bulk-storage drives exceed half of what a SATA-III link can do.

Comment

ZFS could make use of it. Some spinners and an SSD ZIL+Cache coming off an adapter plugged into an NVMe port.

Comment

Originally posted by ssokolow View Post
                I need to research a good SATA port multiplexer to buy a couple of next time I want to upgrade my capacity. My motherboard's SATA ports are full but I've got a couple of free internal drive bays and none of my bulk-storage drives exceed half of what a SATA-III link can do.
                You should get a used SAS PCIe card and SAS to 4x SATA adapter cables. A two port SAS card can give you 8 SATA ports for ~30$.

Comment

Originally posted by FuchtelJockel View Post

You should get a used SAS PCIe card and SAS to 4x SATA adapter cables. A two port SAS card can give you 8 SATA ports for ~30$.
                  There's an Apple port adapter joke in there somewhere.

Comment

Probably for the enterprise. I'm thinking some sort of tiered solution that will "archive" cold data or something.

Comment

Working...
                    X