System76 Launches The Launch Configurable Keyboard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Trapezoid View Post

Fellow Ausfailian here. I spent ~$330AUD on an Azeron Keypad which is 3D printed and made in Latvia. Considering this keyboard is CNC milled and Made in USA that price tag is fine, attractive even. The USB hub has significant appeal as my motherboard has USB 3.2.

For comparison sake I’ve spent $120AUD on a CNC milled stainless steel double edge safety razor from Canada. I also own a Commandante C40 coffee grinder. Made in Germany and $500AUD. I’m not a rich man but I am too poor to buy cheap. The razor will literally last the next 100 years. The grinder the next 20 years.

For me this product also has a political element as well – it’s not Chinese. While it’s pretty much guaranteed some components will come from there the primary economic activity is occurring the US. Happy to support that.

For those complaining about the price – don’t. The next job to go to China/India might be yours because you’re too expensive as well.

Firstly, I can complain about whatever I want. Not that I was, this keyboard just isn't for me. Secondly, I also have a similar lifestyle as your own; I buy quality (not brand names, which I'm VERY cynical of) gear because buying cheap is both frustrating at best, and costs more in the long (well, short!) term as you end up wasting time on unreliable gear not fit for purpose, and the replacement time doesn't offset the initial 'skimping'. I am only to happy to put my money where my mouth is; it costs me more in daily living expenses to eat, shit and sleep, but I'm buying Aussie, German and Japanese generally. I'm about to purchase a Victron solar inverter (maybe two...). I own a TJ Wrangler, because I can tinker until my hearts content. Dunking your head under the carriage to clear hidden debris when water's lapping over your door is quite refreshing. It's a solid vehicle, even in Australian conditions. Fuel's a bitch, but hey, it'll make a cute museum piece when we're all electric.

I also have access to CNC machinery, 3D printers (hobbyist for now, but hopefully soon the local store merchant's addiction to whizzbangery will escalate) and whatnot, and am slowly educating myself along with others on 2D/3D CAD. I seriously doubt my current job (mining) can be outsourced to an Indian or Chinaman as you need feet on the ground for this one =) VISA's aren't exactly growing on tree's right now.
    Hi

Comment

Open firmware is cool and all, but as an actual computer user, not some silly "gamer", that thing referred to as a "numpad" is a very important and frequently used bit of a keyboard, which is much easier and faster to type with than the number row above qwerty. Why does it seem to be abandoned in most new gear?
      Last edited by petteyg; 14 May 2021, 09:47 PM.

Comment

Interestingly, I used to almost exclusively use the number pad for gaming. Back when there weren't a million keys.
        Hi

Comment

I am with some opinions above:

- keyboard is highly personal
          - The price is not a big issue provided the keyboard can stand forever
          - Not a fan of this keyboard, won''t buy it, but I wish them well
          - If you want a numpad, go buy a separate numpad

Personally if one day they introduce a Ergodox-style or even Ergodex/Dumang DK6 style keyboard with Topre-like switch I will be definitely interested

Comment

Originally posted by Dhoulmagus View Post
            - If you want a numpad, go buy a separate numpad
            Nope.

Plus, it's not just about regularly having to input numbers (for anyone who's not a dev), it's about the additional "Enter", "dot/point", "Home", "End", "Page Up", "Page Down", all of these are more easily reachable than on a no stripped down keyboard, and they are better positioned for muscle memory (without having to target very specifically).
            Please also note that on azerty keyboards, you have to hold "shift" to input numbers above the letters. That's as inconvenient as it can get.

Basically, to write a document it's 10% faster with a numpad.
            And it's no surprise that in the professional world, beside in IT departments, you'll always find one.

I remember once being given a Lenovo Thinkpad on a mission (it was an IT department), and beside the crappy buttons on the touchpad, the (deactivated and still) annoying trackpoint, the horrible keyboard layout, the lack of numpad completely finished it to officially make for the most useless laptop I've ever used.

It's alright if this device doesn't have one, but then they should make it clear it's a niche of developers within a niche of enthusiasts.
            Basically, I hope the business case behind this product took that into account, or that product will not generate as many sales as they expected.

Comment

As long as all us fringe keyboard users are throwing demands at a company that clearly won't be marketing a keyboard with 100 different variations, I am a fan of the xd75 layout for both ergonomics and power. Although the fact that a big grid of keys is more ergonomic than the common ansi layout probably says as much about xd75 ergonomics as it does the ergonomic compromises we put up with purely for the sake of computer keyboards having the same topology as mechanical typewriters.

Comment

Originally posted by Mez' View Post
                Nope.

Plus, it's not just about regularly having to input numbers (for anyone who's not a dev), it's about the additional "Enter", "dot/point", "Home", "End", "Page Up", "Page Down", all of these are more easily reachable than on a no stripped down keyboard, and they are better positioned for muscle memory (without having to target very specifically).
                Please also note that on azerty keyboards, you have to hold "shift" to input numbers above the letters. That's as inconvenient as it can get.

Basically, to write a document it's 10% faster with a numpad.
                And it's no surprise that in the professional world, beside in IT departments, you'll always find one.

I remember once being given a Lenovo Thinkpad on a mission (it was an IT department), and beside the crappy buttons on the touchpad, the (deactivated and still) annoying trackpoint, the horrible keyboard layout, the lack of numpad completely finished it to officially make for the most useless laptop I've ever used.

It's alright if this device doesn't have one, but then they should make it clear it's a niche of developers within a niche of enthusiasts.
                Basically, I hope the business case behind this product took that into account, or that product will not generate as many sales as they expected.
                I was working with IBM (company contract) when they sold out the last of their hardware division to Lenovo in, what, 2007? A gentleman who used to work for my company whom was full IBM walked in, said gday, and proceeded to show us the new laptops we were supposed to deploy by simply bending the chassis. Thinkpads they were NOT. And yeah the nipple and the keys were terrible.
                Hi

Comment

Working...
                X