No announcement yet.

System76 Launches The Launch Configurable Keyboard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Where is the insert key?" Apparently they don't use linux much, or I'm just old.

Comment

Positive: this keyboard looks like the kind of solid keyboards I have liked in the past, something durable. Lack of Windows symbol is a plus. Neutral: the key layout isn't to my taste, and it seems cramped, so I wouldn't buy one. Negative: I may have been guided by standard 101-key AT keyboards having numpads, but the idea of not having one on a desktop keyboard seems like a backwards design movement. At least they should consider creating a matching numpad unit, or some users will either reject their product, or Frankenstein their keyboard with another company's standalone numpad. It doesn't affect me, I'm not going to purchase it, but I do wish them well.

Comment

While I appreciate it and everything System76 is doing here, it is simply too small and is missing Insert and Delete. I go in and out of overwrite and insert all the time so not having Insert is a deal breaker. I also think $285 before government and shipping is a bit steep in price for a keyboard...especially one missing Insert. In perspective, I paid $11 more for my current APU after taxes and shipping. I do like how the spacebar is split in two. Interesting key combinations and/or software swaps for possibilities to bring back Insert and other missing keys. I wish spacebars were two to four keys so I really do like that feature and hope it picks up. Seems dumb to have two digits resting on the same damn key. I basically do every space with my right hand and my left thumb just hangs out so I see that split spacebar as so many possibilities.

I'm happy enough with my funky font $60 Redragon round key brown switch keyboard. Had it for a year and a half now. Yeah, I'm in the funky font keyboard group. Not like I'm looking at it when typing so the font and RGB effects are a bit moot though I have the pressed key random color effect enabled just to use an RGB effect...everything else seems to be too flashy and annoying to me.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313
          I've never wished that my keyboard had a USB hub, and no idea why anyone would want USB 3.2 on their keyboard.
          For the most part I agree with everything else you said so: It is handy when your computer is a media center PC. All you need is one wire for your keyboard and everything else can be plugged into your keyboard. There's also no hub laying around so less gear clutter. Plus there are little benefits like not needing to go across the room to charge the PS4 controller, play games wired (or buy a 10' usb cable like I did), plug in thumb drives, or anything else.

Comment

The overall layout seems nice, really like the retro vibe. The high speed USB hub may contribute to the high price.

But even if I had the money, I wouldn't get one because of what they did with the bottom roll. 2 Fn buttons? Non-standard position of the Ctrl and Alt keys? Only one Super/Meta Key and in a awkward position? I don't need no stinking Fn-buttons because in Linux I can easily remap anything from the GUI.

Comment

"Where is the insert key?" Apparently they don't use linux much, or I'm just old.
              ...is missing Insert and Delete...
              Originally posted by M@GOid View Post
              The overall layout seems nice, really like the retro vibe. The high speed USB hub may contribute to the high price.

But even if I had the money, I wouldn't get one because of what they did with the bottom roll. 2 Fn buttons? Non-standard position of the Ctrl and Alt keys? Only one Super/Meta Key and in a awkward position? I don't need no stinking Fn-buttons because in Linux I can easily remap anything from the GUI.
              The whole keyboard is remappable using the software, so you can move the Ctrl, Alt, Meta, Fn, etc keys anywhere you like. You can add an Insert key, or remove the arrow keys. You could replace one of the space bars with a backspace, or whatever else you like. And the changes you make to the layout carry over to any other computer you use the keyboard with; it's not dependent on your software configuration like software-defined mappings are.

Comment

Originally posted by extremesquared View Post

Lights on expensive keyboards never made much sense to me anyway. Are there a lot of people who can't touch type but still spend almost 300usd on a keyboard?

I actually use a 'custom' keyboard pcb that lights up, but could never figure out the point, and put it inside an opaque keyboard case with opaque key caps.
                I guess you've never had to type in low light/darkness.........

Comment

Originally posted by ezekrb5 View Post
                  If the product can last for many many years, and also is repairable, and maybe even upgradable (like switching the board for one with a chip that complies with future standards), then I don't see the problem at all with the price.
                  A regular keyboard costs between 10-40$. A mechanical one from $60-200 depending on the specs.
                  Most cheapo mechanical keyboards I know won't last that long. Basically you need to be spending around $150+ for something decent.

Changing keyboards all the time is creating waste, so if this keyboard has a 10+ years lifespan, then bravo.
                  My membrane keyboard lasted 5 years and cost $45.............pretty sure my $100 mechanical keyboard will last much longer than that.

Comment

Originally posted by sandy8925 View Post

My membrane keyboard lasted 5 years and cost $45.............pretty sure my $100 mechanical keyboard will last much longer than that.
                    The nice part about Launch is that the wear items (switches) are swappable, so if one fails, you can easily replace it. And the durable construction would help it last longer.

Comment

Originally posted by sandy8925 View Post

I guess you've never had to type in low light/darkness.........
                      I regularly do that. Spending a few weeks learning the position of every key by touch is an extremely good investment if you use computers as part of work. Then learn the keyboard shortcuts of your DE and most used programs. Though I am embarrassed to admit that 90% of vim still confuses me.

Regarding insert, I believe most of these boutique keyboards put Insert, Print screen, and Scroll lock on the function key layer, and let the user customize it back into the main layer.
                      Last edited by extremesquared; 13 May 2021, 04:51 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X