Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No, thanks.

Comment

Good to see some confirming messages this time. It seems to me that some people think that older is outdated or even obsolete. I remember the 32-bit discussions where it was also assumed that most people have switched over to 64-bit systems, rendering 32-bit system obsolete. It is a mind set I notice emanating from some countries who are considered being wealthy.
      If you have money, you can buy the latest and fasted hardware, to move forward and make older hardware obsolete. What that mind set also indicates is that those who think like that, know (very) little of the rest of the world or just don't care (enough) about anything outside there own bubble.
      Maybe, just maybe, about 1-1.5 billion people can have the latest/fastest hardware. That does not mean that they really need it, but are driven by status, ego, or plain commerce. The rest of the world would like to do the same - driven by the same desires -, but they are already happy when they have a 32-bit machine with an 32-bit Windows XP/8. Not safe, but hé they have at least some "modern" hardware to show.

Modernization and progress in technology are okay, but let's not forget the majority of people on this small planet. People who are left out, tend to be less cooperative and some being pushed far enough, getting violent towards others. Competing with others only to establish who has the biggest, hardest, meanest, best or the most is a race towards the abyss for human kind.

Comment

After a bit of research...this USB stick is what I got to add wifi to machines that need it https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ZQ0C4KI...roduct_details

Is what I settled on for as a compromise between fast and cheap and open source support.... and it has AC... they should be supporting an an AP with the same chipset honestly. And encouraging older standards is not helpful.

Comment

Are there any chipsets for 802.11ac that can function without blobs/firmware yet? I'm pretty sure that's the reason for sticking with 802.11n for this particular certification.
          Last edited by numacross; 30 April 2021, 04:28 PM.

Comment

The article is kind of dismissing people caring for RYF. Well you can despise us all you want, and we can despise people who value performance more than freedom all we want. But as long as either won't build performant hardware that respects your freedom, that's not going to mean anything.
            But I've always heard of overeengineering and premature optimisation. I've not heard so often of excessive freedom or not rigid enough solutions.
            There's no question that the world can work with a decade old tech. The proof that it can is that it did 10 years ago.
            There's always the question whether a new technology is looking for a problem or is useful. It's up to the new tech to prove it's needed.
            And it's obvious that if you just look at the performance you'll just be bought whatever they want with whatever strings attached.
            Originally posted by fransdb View Post
            Maybe, just maybe, about 1-1.5 billion people can have the latest/fastest hardware.
            Maybe, just maybe, the latest/fastest hardware can have about 1-1.5 billion people.
            Maybe, just maybe, about 1-1.5 billion people can be owned by the latest/fastest hardware.

There FTFY. Otherwise very nice post.

Comment

Originally posted by cb88 View Post
              After a bit of research...this USB stick is what I got to add wifi to machines that need it https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ZQ0C4KI...roduct_details

Is what I settled on for as a compromise between fast and cheap and open source support.... and it has AC... they should be supporting an an AP with the same chipset honestly. And encouraging older standards is not helpful.
              That one is based on MT7610U, which requires a firmware blob to function, so that's probably the reason for the lack of endorsement.

Comment

I remember the 32-bit discussions where it was also assumed that most people have switched over to 64-bit systems, rendering 32-bit system obsolete.
                32 bit is old and obsolete. I haven't owned a machine that wasn't 64 bit for 15 years now, and I'm not exactly rich.

Comment

It seems to me that some people think that the WIFI-4 is outdated and therefore useless. WIFI-4 is older (2008), we now have WIFI-5 and WIFI-6, but is it thus outdated?
                  Where are the countries that have broadband IP traffic with speeds of 0.4-2Gb/s available for most consumers?
                  Looking globally, having a WIFI-4 router (max 600 Mb/s) is for most people enough since their local speed connections are still rated in single or double digit Mb/s and if they are lucky 200 Mb/s. Okay, some have already 1 Gb/s connections with fiber optics.

It is the same of having - say - an Bugatti Veron 415 Km/h (257.9 mph) and having roads where the speed limit is 120 Km/h (74.6 mph). You pay a lot but can't use it because of the law, or infrastructure or number of concurrent users.

So, please, accept the world as it is today and don't be so condescending.
                  In most cases 802.11n routers do not perform at the theoretical maximum rate, therefore the actual typical speed is 50Mbps or so (and may vary wildly).

One case in where high speed comes at benefit is for local video streaming (I have plenty of videos that easily exceed 100Mbps bitrate).

Comment

This article seems to be made to inspire flaming, isn't it?
                    No, thanks.

Anyway, fortunately i don't care that much, but it is worth to point out that the real shame is that hardware openness seems to become increasingly rare over time.
                    And certainly one can't blame FSF for that.

Comment

Originally posted by kokoko3k View Post
                      the real shame is that hardware openness seems to become increasingly rare over time.
                      And certainly one can't blame FSF for that.
                      Exactly. You can only blame the branwashed kids who want *NEW* *NEW* *MODERN* *MODERN* and are quite quite happy to use closed and very locked down consumer hardware just to have the latest crap.

It really will get to the point where the new stuff is unusable for anything but consuming ("cloud") media and that the only hardware you can actually do something interesting on is 20 years old. Perhaps stockpile now because even those old i386 machines will be as valuable and rarer than gold in the future.

Comment

Working...
                      X