It's 2021 & The FSF Is Still Endorsing 802.11n WiFi Hardware

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by storkus View Post
    I usually lurk and just quick browse, but this has really irked me to the point I had to log in & comment:

While the vast majority of you including Larabel himself are concentrating on the RF parts, I want to point you to the firmware parts, specifically there are no blobs. With all the router exploits running in the wild, your initial firewall is your first line of defense against the outside world. (I mean, besides running winshit, of course.) Being able to run 100% open software (ideally on open hardware, but hopefully that'll be in the next decade or less) is a huge deal in this application. I realize it may not be the fastest, but as long as it's the most secure, that's what matters. All you need is one blob with negative ring (above hypervisor) access with an externally-accessable vulnerability and you're done!

PLEASE think about this WRT RYF.
    The question then is, how do we balance legal requirement that stuck Wifi-5's or Wifi-6's software defined radio in closed source (security to governments) and the goal of open source hardware (security to users)? Will there one day a specially designed wireless router / AP comes out, creating a clean separation and sandbox the part government care into a less-privileged module? That module shall only do the bare minimum to satisfy legal need, and leave the rest in auditable open source code. Or is that the software defined radio cannot be sandboxed and I am too naive?

Comment

Originally posted by billyswong View Post
      The question then is, how do we balance legal requirement that stuck Wifi-5's or Wifi-6's software defined radio in closed source (security to governments) and the goal of open source hardware (security to users)?
      there is no such legal requirement for most of the world, including the US.

Comment

Working...
      X