X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GreekGeek
    replied
    Hi Yall

and a big thanx to "cruiseoveride," whose comment nudged me in the right direction. I dumped my "X-FI," (it was one of those dodgy re-branded Audigy's anyhow. Creative are Creeps for that move. NO MORE card from them) and went with a new Xonar DX.

I love it . Sounds better in Windows 7 (beta drivers work AOK) and via VLC, I can access some really nice sound enhancements to movies and music.

Blissed Geek in Audio paradise, signing out. :-)

GreekGeek :-)

Leave a comment:

• b15hop
    replied
    Originally posted by akij02 View Post
    t has dozens of different processing units connected by a freely reconfigurable ring bus. In addition it has a DSP unit that is completely undocumented. Also different X-Fi cards have different peripheral chips connected to the 20k chip. Figuring all that out seems to be something that may take few years of full time work. In addition keeping track of the changes in recent/future card models makes the driver a moving target. The current X-Fi driver of OSS is based on a simple DOS based manufacturing test program provided by Creative. It supports only older card models and limited functionality. Unfortunately this seems to be the best that can be done unless we manage to hire a group of 5-10 sr driver engineers to do the job.
    Hmm either way, I'm not convinced that I should buy an X-Fi even if I was only playing games on windows. The previous post on what card to buy is more useful because it's what I can get _now_ out of my Linux distribution. I'll probably end up buying an Asus board for this reason. Since I know that creative software, driver combination are annoying and of poor quality. I'll end up voting with my wallet in favor of the list that cruiseoveride gave.

Leave a comment:

• akij02
    replied
    t has dozens of different processing units connected by a freely reconfigurable ring bus. In addition it has a DSP unit that is completely undocumented. Also different X-Fi cards have different peripheral chips connected to the 20k chip. Figuring all that out seems to be something that may take few years of full time work. In addition keeping track of the changes in recent/future card models makes the driver a moving target. The current X-Fi driver of OSS is based on a simple DOS based manufacturing test program provided by Creative. It supports only older card models and limited functionality. Unfortunately this seems to be the best that can be done unless we manage to hire a group of 5-10 sr driver engineers to do the job.

Leave a comment:

• b15hop
    replied
    Originally posted by LightningCrash View Post
    I'm already voting with my wallet.

Go Intel/Realtek!
    Yeah I agree. Only way is to vote with your wallet.

Leave a comment:

• LightningCrash
    replied
    I'm already voting with my wallet.

Go Intel/Realtek!

Leave a comment:

• Keefa
    replied
    Well that really sucks. I guess I'll have to either stick to Windows or start thinking about getting rid of the console. Thanks for clearing it up, pfunkman. I appreciate it.

Leave a comment:

• pfunkman
    replied
    Originally posted by Keefa View Post
    I have an X-Fi Elite Pro and I use the I/O console. My headphones are connected to the console and the console's connected to the sound card. Does that "no support for the I/O console" mean I absolutely can not get the sound through? I'd hate to have to plug the headphones directly to the sound card. (I'd have to use an adapter to make the normal plug in Sennheiser HD 555 to a mini plug.)
    Exactly, I doubt there will ever be support for i/o consoles.

Leave a comment:

• Keefa
    replied
    I have an X-Fi Elite Pro and I use the I/O console. My headphones are connected to the console and the console's connected to the sound card. Does that "no support for the I/O console" mean I absolutely can not get the sound through? I'd hate to have to plug the headphones directly to the sound card. (I'd have to use an adapter to make the normal plug in Sennheiser HD 555 to a mini plug.)

Leave a comment:

• DeepDayze
    replied
    Originally posted by bugmenot View Post
    From his eMail...
    Don't even try to use a bugmenot account there, you will be banned. :/
    I am sure they have a lot of trolls there who are quite vocal

I still own an SBLive 5.1 card, but recently replaced it with a Turtle beach one.
    Last edited by DeepDayze; 27 March 2009, 05:46 PM.

Leave a comment:

• seeker010
    replied
    if you feel like complaining, or just plain flaming, the linux thread at creative's forums is http://forums.creative.com/creativel...cending&page=1

Leave a comment:

Working...
X