Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Creative sucks

I turned by back on them long ago.
    First they made really nice HW. 486 times.
    Later I had severe issues with the SB Live and Creative didn't care a bit about it, though it was at least 50% their fault. Still it was an bearable situation.
    Then I heard about that issue with these XFI Cards, already working with both Linux and Windows on my boxes. During that period onboard chips had become already good enough to work with them, and furthermore I noticed that most soundcard vendors used the same chips anyway (this is a thing Linux definitely taught me - different vendors, different names, but at the end it is the same chip inside), so why buy an expensive card that often just uses the same RTLxxxx, CMI, VIA or whatever chips?

At the moment I'm quite happy with my onboard stuff which is fine enough. Okay, I'm not into professional sound/music production but then you have other vendors than Creative (if their HW is useful for prof. purposes anyway).
    And it all works out of the box with the in-kernel ALSA drivers. The W32 part of my systems works with them as well, so I can't complain.

I still wonder why Creative show such a fubared state of mind. I mean they were slapped in the face by Vista/Microsoft with all their EAX and stuff and they still refuse to support alternative systems in any way. But they could really score here, esp. since market for dedicated cards is shrinking all the time. (Same goes for VIA tech with their CPUs and chipsets, but at least they installed Harald Welte so it can only become better in the future.)

I just don't understand their behaviour.
    Well, but that wouldn't be the first enterprise that is being smashed down the abyss by management (note management, not engineers).
    But they'll probably have to learn it the hard way. I'm just sorry for the engineers when Creative goes bankrupt one day.
    Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

if you feel like complaining, or just plain flaming, the linux thread at creative's forums is http://forums.creative.com/creativel...cending&page=1

Comment

Originally posted by bugmenot View Post
        From his eMail...
        Don't even try to use a bugmenot account there, you will be banned. :/
        I am sure they have a lot of trolls there who are quite vocal

I still own an SBLive 5.1 card, but recently replaced it with a Turtle beach one.
        Last edited by DeepDayze; 27 March 2009, 05:46 PM.

Comment

I have an X-Fi Elite Pro and I use the I/O console. My headphones are connected to the console and the console's connected to the sound card. Does that "no support for the I/O console" mean I absolutely can not get the sound through? I'd hate to have to plug the headphones directly to the sound card. (I'd have to use an adapter to make the normal plug in Sennheiser HD 555 to a mini plug.)

Comment

Originally posted by Keefa View Post
            I have an X-Fi Elite Pro and I use the I/O console. My headphones are connected to the console and the console's connected to the sound card. Does that "no support for the I/O console" mean I absolutely can not get the sound through? I'd hate to have to plug the headphones directly to the sound card. (I'd have to use an adapter to make the normal plug in Sennheiser HD 555 to a mini plug.)
            Exactly, I doubt there will ever be support for i/o consoles.

Comment

Well that really sucks. I guess I'll have to either stick to Windows or start thinking about getting rid of the console. Thanks for clearing it up, pfunkman. I appreciate it.

Comment

I'm already voting with my wallet.

Go Intel/Realtek!

Comment

Originally posted by LightningCrash View Post
                  I'm already voting with my wallet.

Go Intel/Realtek!
                  Yeah I agree. Only way is to vote with your wallet.

Comment

t has dozens of different processing units connected by a freely reconfigurable ring bus. In addition it has a DSP unit that is completely undocumented. Also different X-Fi cards have different peripheral chips connected to the 20k chip. Figuring all that out seems to be something that may take few years of full time work. In addition keeping track of the changes in recent/future card models makes the driver a moving target. The current X-Fi driver of OSS is based on a simple DOS based manufacturing test program provided by Creative. It supports only older card models and limited functionality. Unfortunately this seems to be the best that can be done unless we manage to hire a group of 5-10 sr driver engineers to do the job.

Comment

Originally posted by akij02 View Post
                      t has dozens of different processing units connected by a freely reconfigurable ring bus. In addition it has a DSP unit that is completely undocumented. Also different X-Fi cards have different peripheral chips connected to the 20k chip. Figuring all that out seems to be something that may take few years of full time work. In addition keeping track of the changes in recent/future card models makes the driver a moving target. The current X-Fi driver of OSS is based on a simple DOS based manufacturing test program provided by Creative. It supports only older card models and limited functionality. Unfortunately this seems to be the best that can be done unless we manage to hire a group of 5-10 sr driver engineers to do the job.
                      Hmm either way, I'm not convinced that I should buy an X-Fi even if I was only playing games on windows. The previous post on what card to buy is more useful because it's what I can get _now_ out of my Linux distribution. I'll probably end up buying an Asus board for this reason. Since I know that creative software, driver combination are annoying and of poor quality. I'll end up voting with my wallet in favor of the list that cruiseoveride gave.

Comment

Working...
                      X