Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Logitech QuickCam Communicate Deluxe

Phoronix: Logitech QuickCam Communicate Deluxe

While a relatively simple device, web-cameras are still an area on Linux that can be problematic when it comes to compatibility and the device functioning properly. The level of Linux support for USB web-cameras has improved quite a bit in recent years, and for many devices it is now a plug-and-play experience, but that is not the case for all devices. In this article we are taking a brief look at the Logitech QuickCam Communicate Deluxe. The QuickCam Communicate Deluxe has a 1.3 mega-pixel sensor with the capabilities to capture video up to a resolution of 1280 x 1024 at 30 frames per second.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I think I've got one of these...!

I don't have the precise USB IDs to hand, but it certainly looks like mine. And mine does work with the ALSA USB audio driver. However, mine also seems to have a race condition somewhere in the initialisation code because on my SMP machine I sometimes get a picture and the rest of the time I get a completely black (underexposed?) image instead. Whenever I get the black image, I typically need to unplug the camera, unload the uvcvideo module, reload the uvcvideo module and then replug the camera; this usually (but not always) fixes it.

Check the ALSA mixer settings: I think the microphone has a software on/off switch in there, as well as a volume control.

Comment

Sweet

I have been looking for a webcam with that capability for some time. Of course, it's a bit more expensive than I wanted, but hey.

And here I have a question of some of the smart people around here (sorry it's a bit long):

Can you help me with a small project I have.

I am planning on building a security device for our apartment. More precisely, for our peep-hole. Recently one of my neighbors apartment was broken into and it prompted me to look into some kind of camera setup. Maybe I won't be able to prevent something, but at least I will have a nice mug shot of who did it.

The idea is to convert an old laptop (I have an old Dell P3-600) and to turn the monitor around (so that, when closed, the screen faces out). Then add a webcam and mount it behind the front door, with the camera looking through the peep-hole. Add a wireless card and bingo! I can send the pictures off somewhere.

Advantages of that setup:
      -motion would turn on the screen and show who is outside. Just a walk close to the monitor would reveal who is behind the door.
      -person outside does not know if he/she is being watched, because you wouldn't see the peep-hole "change".
      -a recording would be send off via wireless connection to an off-side server

Problems:
      - The program "motion" seems to do everything I want, except display what is currently going on outside. I am not sure two programs can successfully share the same webcam.
      - mounting this big ugly thing on the backside of the door. I need to do some cosmetics there for sure.

I really wished somebody would create a simple device that would do the same. But I searched and there seems to be nothing.

So, can someone point me in the right direction, or maybe have some insight into do something like that? I have already installed xubuntu, with FluxBox on it. Currently it's booting using 70MB of memory.

Comment

I also own one of these (I think)

I have a logitech webcam that looks exactly like the one pictured in the article. I was able to get both video and audio working, being a Gentoo user it did require some configuration on my part (I did not have USB audio in my kernel so I had to recompile, had to install uvc, etc.).

I've been using this webcam with Skype successfully for both video and audio for some time. My problem is that the people on the other end tell me the video quality is very poor. I don't think I can even get it to capture 1280x1024 video to a local file.

Can anyone give me some tips on getting the max video resolution from this device? Any uvc tips or programs to suggest? How is the Gnome cheese program?

Let me know what you think.

- BadSquishy

Comment

Originally posted by BadSquishy View Post
          I have a logitech webcam that looks exactly like the one pictured in the article. I was able to get both video and audio working, being a Gentoo user it did require some configuration on my part (I did not have USB audio in my kernel so I had to recompile, had to install uvc, etc.).

I've been using this webcam with Skype successfully for both video and audio for some time. My problem is that the people on the other end tell me the video quality is very poor. I don't think I can even get it to capture 1280x1024 video to a local file.

Can anyone give me some tips on getting the max video resolution from this device? Any uvc tips or programs to suggest? How is the Gnome cheese program?

Let me know what you think.

- BadSquishy
          Both Cheese and Camorama should be able to give you a good idea of what the camera (or more precise, the drivers) are capable of doing.

Skype will always down-sample the video, so it isn't the best gauge of the quality of the webcam.

You can play around a bit with mencoder too. Here is a link.

Comment

I am underwhelmed by this review. My Logitech QuickCam Communicate had been working in Skype under Ubuntu Hardy Heron without problem and with a pretty good picture, then I upgraded to Intrepid Ibex and it quit working. If I wanted upgrades that broke my hardware, I would stick with Windows.

Comment

Cheaper: QuickCam Communication MP for Business

I haven't tried it yet as I just ordered it:
              Buy Logitech QuickCam Communication MP for Business with fast shipping and top-rated customer service. Once you know, you Newegg!

Same 1.3MP as the others. AFAIK the only difference is the range of software interpolation. I also have an Orbit MP which has pan/tilt. The camera works but I haven't been able to control the pan/tilt yet.

Comment

I was shopping for webcams recently, and went for the HP 2 megapixel webcam - works fine out of the box too on Skype (but crashes Cheese on one laptop. Haha, how ironic.).

Comment

Logitech QuickCam Vision Pro for Mac

Working on Ubuntu and Vista 64 with Skype. Amazon link The YouTube video

Comment

Originally posted by gtrawoger View Post
                    Can you help me with a small project I have.
                    I am planning on building a security device for our apartment. More precisely, for our peep-hole. Recently one of my neighbors apartment was broken into and it prompted me to look into some kind of camera setup. Maybe I won't be able to prevent something, but at least I will have a nice mug shot of who did it.
                    Actually for what you want to do mounting a whole laptop on the door might be a little... overkill

Using a small wireless camera would be easier IMO:
                    Mini Wireless Color Camera with Microphone

I actually have one quite similar to that and it works great for ranges up to 20-30m. All you need is a capture card for your PC or laptop (there are great USB ones), and a program like ZoneMinder to control it. Of course you'd also need a cheap 9V adapter to supply the camera with power and route the cable somehow (but you'd need power for the laptop as well).

You can use motion for the same purpose, but it's not very user-friendly. For the record, in order to view the "live" recording with motion you need to setup a webcam-server within /etc/motion/motion.conf and then look at the video with Cambozola (JAVA applet). HTH.

Comment

Working...
                    X