Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OpenRazer 3.0 Released For Supporting Many More Razer Peripherals Under Linux

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • OpenRazer 3.0 Released For Supporting Many More Razer Peripherals Under Linux

    Phoronix: OpenRazer 3.0 Released For Supporting Many More Razer Peripherals Under Linux

    While Razer has talked up Linux support in the past, so far they have not officially offered Linux support for their range of wares popular with gamers. However, thanks to the open-source community there has been the likes of OpenRazer offering up support for the company's keyboards, mice, and other peripherals under Linux thanks to reverse engineering. Today marks the release of OpenRazer 3.0 for furthering this effort...

    https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...r-3.0-Released

  • #2
    Congrats and thanks. If I had the hardware I'd give the software a shot.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
      Congrats and thanks. If I had the hardware I'd give the software a shot.
      If they had support for the mouse I want (Naga Pro), I'd give both, hardware and software, a shot.

      Sad they still lack support for some 2020 devices.

      Comment


      • #4
        Thanks to all involved in this effort and particular shout to tildearrow. I'm not a gamer (well not anymore...did my time in 1978 when Space Invaders hit our local bowling alley and I gave up bowling) but I am still a lifelong and avid typist and I really like Razer gaming keyboards for typing my stories. You don't need to be a gamer to enjoy quality peripherals and good Linux support.

        Comment


        • #5
          this is pretty awesome! there is another project for steelseries mice too. rivalcfg: https://github.com/flozz/rivalcfg

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
            Congrats and thanks. If I had the hardware I'd give the software a shot.
            I have the hardware (Cynosa Lite Keyboard), but you don't miss much. Their Windows software refuses to install and I've never seen a crappier device driver/software in my life - why don't they simply provide a functional driver and software without a login just as any other company in the world?! Of course the server it tries to connect to refuses to answer. I wonder how other people can use it.

            While I got this open source driver to install on Linux, I cannot see any real added value by having it, but I don't use much of the added functionality anyway (it is compatible with 1000 Hz refresh rate, but 100 Hz is already an improvement which the generic driver also provides an option for).

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Jumbotron View Post
              Thanks to all involved in this effort and particular shout to tildearrow. I'm not a gamer (well not anymore...did my time in 1978 when Space Invaders hit our local bowling alley and I gave up bowling) but I am still a lifelong and avid typist and I really like Razer gaming keyboards for typing my stories. You don't need to be a gamer to enjoy quality peripherals and good Linux support.
              Me, I really like ergo keyboards for typing my articles and code. Know anyone who makes a back-lit ergo keyboard?

              Comment


              • #8
                This is really cool! To bad the Razer hardware sucks hard on quality.

                I have had several versions of the Razer Naga MMO mice and everyone of them the left mouse button switch has failed. The last one lasted 9 months... it was my last shot to Razer, I will never buy another one of their mice ever. They use super crappy switches, and a quick google search will show that its apparently a fairly systemic problem with their mice.

                Its to bad because otherwise their MMO mouse is awesome for use in hotkeying desktop functions to every button... Ironically I have never played an MMO and dont even use the mice for gaming!

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by pipe13 View Post
                  Me, I really like ergo keyboards for typing my articles and code. Know anyone who makes a back-lit ergo keyboard?
                  I've been using the Kinesis FreeStyle Edge for a few years now, works great and the customization software runs perfectly on wine.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by zexelon View Post
                    This is really cool! To bad the Razer hardware sucks hard on quality.

                    I have had several versions of the Razer Naga MMO mice and everyone of them the left mouse button switch has failed. The last one lasted 9 months... it was my last shot to Razer, I will never buy another one of their mice ever. They use super crappy switches, and a quick google search will show that its apparently a fairly systemic problem with their mice.

                    Its to bad because otherwise their MMO mouse is awesome for use in hotkeying desktop functions to every button... Ironically I have never played an MMO and dont even use the mice for gaming!
                    Agreed completely.

                    My BlackWidow Chroma had a faulty E key at the end, and some other keys too (and this was only after ~10 months of usage!).
                    My Mamba had major sensor failures by 2019 (sometimes it would literally stop tracking and/or stutter to the point it is unusable).
                    My BlackWidow X Chroma has occasional problems on the E and Y keys. Sometimes they come and sometimes they go.
                    Now my Lancehead TE's scroll wheel is failing too sometimes reporting the wrong direction...

                    Not only that, I had to repair my Razer earphones like 3 times...

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X