Months After Being Deprecated, Linux Ready To Say Goodbye To WiMAX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Viki Ai View Post
    It is mostly about if someone is willing to maintain the code. With a bit of how-much-the-code-interacts/interferes-with-other-code thrown in for flavor.

N64 Kernel passes both (for now) because the codebase it is (for now) being actively maintained by someone(s), and it doesn't appear to cause any significant inter-dependency issues with the rest of the stack (you could even pull the "supporting-weird-architectures-can-draw-out-obscure-bugs" argument, to a degree).
    Yeah, that covers it pretty well... as long as someone is taking responsibility for it and it doesn't significantly impact more important parts of the kernel, they're not particularly fussy about support for niche architectures. But conversely, WiMax doesn't seem to have anyone interested in keeping it alive, and its continued existence becomes a burden for people maintaining adjacent parts of the networking stack... there's a real incentive to get rid of it.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post
      ... this is the Linux and esp. Phoronix community, so there will always be at least one person who's going to miss old code
      Yup, came here for the inevitable "my old shit needs this!" comment- WiMAX must truly be out of use, as there wasn't a single one!

Comment

Originally posted by torsionbar28 View Post
        I can't think of any end-user use cases for WiMax that wouldn't be better served by Starlink. I don't think anyone is going to miss this code.
        I can think of a bunch:
        - any mobile device
        - any handheld/portable device
        - any affordable device
        - any indoor application without the possibility for a large external dish/array
        - any power limited application (1 Watt vs 100 Watts)

Comparing Starlink to Wimax is like comparing a Helipad to a Car.
        Both are transport technologies, but they're not in the same category and neither can really replace the other.

Comment

This is just one more silly effort by the wayland people trying to kill off network connectivity so noone misses X11 network transparency.

Comment

Working...
          X