System76 Introduces Thelio Mira Computers - Powered By AMD Ryzen 5000 Series

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dylanmtaylor View Post
    +$3,329 for an RTX 3090. Lol WTF, that's insanely overpriced. And the 'upgrade cost' from a Ryzen 3 to 5950X is more than the MSRP of just buying the 5950X.
    They're handcrafted in Denver, Colorado. Putting systems together is a boring, tedious process where lots of legal weed helps. That is reflected in their prices.

Comment

Originally posted by pWe00Iri3e7Z9lHOX2Qx View Post
      I like a lot about what System76 does, but as a frugal person, the pricing you pay to play in the niche market is eye watering. $2,136 for the previous gen hex core with 16GB of RAM / 500GB SSD / GTX 1650 Super which is probably the lowest spec I'd want. I'm worried they won't survive the onslaught of Linux options from Dell / Lenovo / etc.
      And Tuxedo.

Comment

i'd accept hand crafting, high prices, and stoned marxists if Nvidia gpu's actually worked with Linux.

Comment

Not in the market, but the System76 custom case is beautiful. Too bad they don't sell a version of it separately, maybe without the branding and logos. The design is striking, with the clean lines and real wood. It seems like every other case manufacture today is striving for "anime robot", "faux military", or "RGB carnival" theme. I miss the old Lian Li aluminum cases from the 2000's with their clean basic aluminum styling, quality construction, and thoughtful design. Why does literally every case need a tempered glass window now? Tempered glass sucks.

Comment

Originally posted by CommunityMember View Post
            Are you planning to purchase enough AMD GPU systems (probably in the many hundreds) to make it worth their while to qualify such systems? If so, you should certainly call them and inquire about custom services and pricing.
            Nah, easier to build it myself for half the price.

Comment

Originally posted by angrypie View Post
              Nah, easier to build it myself for half the price.
              Yeah, good luck with that.

Comment

Originally posted by torsionbar28 View Post
                Yeah, good luck with that.
                Of course assuming sane prices, not scalping prices.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

They're handcrafted in Denver, Colorado. Putting systems together is a boring, tedious process where lots of legal weed helps. That is reflected in their prices.
                  This is why prebuilts are worth shit unless they're low-end as fuck.

Comment

Originally posted by mold View Post
                    i'd accept hand crafting, high prices, and stoned marxists if Nvidia gpu's actually worked with Linux.
                    Works on my machine.

Comment

Originally posted by Templar82 View Post

Works on my machine.
                      it could mean that you do not need a stable graphics driver or might not be using wayland, fractional per-display scaling, multiple displays, or not fall into other edge cases that are generally taken for granted. nvidia does not "work" in linux.

Comment

Working...
                      X