No announcement yet.

System76 Introduces Thelio Mira Computers - Powered By AMD Ryzen 5000 Series

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• System76 Introduces Thelio Mira Computers - Powered By AMD Ryzen 5000 Series

Phoronix: System76 Introduces Thelio Mira Computers - Powered By AMD Ryzen 5000 Series

System76 today introduced the Thelio Mira as their nwest desktop computer offering that is sized between the Thelio and Thelio Major while still packing quite a bit of compute potential...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    System76 today introduced the Thelio Mira as their nwest desktop computer offering that is sized between the Thelio and Thelio Major while still packing quite a bit of compute potential...
    Typo^

Comment

+$3,329 for an RTX 3090. Lol WTF, that's insanely overpriced. And the 'upgrade cost' from a Ryzen 3 to 5950X is more than the MSRP of just buying the 5950X.

Comment

I like a lot about what System76 does, but as a frugal person, the pricing you pay to play in the niche market is eye watering. $2,136 for the previous gen hex core with 16GB of RAM / 500GB SSD / GTX 1650 Super which is probably the lowest spec I'd want. I'm worried they won't survive the onslaught of Linux options from Dell / Lenovo / etc.

Comment

Originally posted by pWe00Iri3e7Z9lHOX2Qx View Post
          I like a lot about what System76 does, but as a frugal person, the pricing you pay to play in the niche market is eye watering. $2,136 for the previous gen hex core with 16GB of RAM / 500GB SSD / GTX 1650 Super which is probably the lowest spec I'd want. I'm worried they won't survive the onslaught of Linux options from Dell / Lenovo / etc.
          Agree. I want to support a company that supports and tests on Linux, but this is not cheap. Unfortunately, it's often cheaper to buy from another manufacturer, even paying the windows tax.

I do always wonder about this Linux market for desktops though. For laptops, it makes sense, but I would guess that many Linux desktop users build their own desktop. Especially if the price on stuff like this is so high.

Comment

inb4 "System76 introduces or Clevo introduces?"

Comment

Still no AMD GPU offerings.

Comment

Originally posted by dylanmtaylor View Post
                +$3,329 for an RTX 3090. Lol WTF, that's insanely overpriced. And the 'upgrade cost' from a Ryzen 3 to 5950X is more than the MSRP of just buying the 5950X.
                Can you actually buy a RTX 3090 or 5950X at retail today? Last I was aware, if you want them *now* you often have to pay a certain, um, premium. If you have patience, the prices may come down, but if you place an order today for a System76 system I am guessing you want delivery now.

Comment

Originally posted by jbowen View Post
                  Still no AMD GPU offerings.
                  I am guessing that their existing and potential customers are currently more interested in the nvidia gpus.

Are you planning to purchase enough AMD GPU systems (probably in the many hundreds) to make it worth their while to qualify such systems? If so, you should certainly call them and inquire about custom services and pricing.

Comment

Originally posted by Qaridarium

yes i really wonder myself about this to...
                    they understand irrational consumption.

Comment

Working...
                    X