X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

linux computer with novideo gpu is an oxymoron

Comment

Originally posted by CommunityMember View Post
      I am guessing that their existing and potential customers are currently more interested in the nvidia gpus.
      i.e. they are targeting nvidiots

Comment

So I bought a Thelio in late November, didnt receive it till Jan. The way the package it was amazing. And it does look amazing. But.....
        I had to return it...

Severe lack of USB ports, it only had what came with the mobo ones the back. It is a mini itx mobo, so no expandability. The heat spreader on the M.2 was not touching the SSD, or not that I could really see when I pulled it off. The reason I had to, the SSD failed in less than 3 weeks.
        If I knew what was reallllly going to be on the inside, every component, make model, I wouldn't have bought it, super over priced. I looked up all the parts inside, and if I where to buy the exact same parts, would have been close to $1K cheaper. And thats with the inflated prices.

This box was meant for work, and only for work. And I really wanted to support a true Linux vendor, but they have a very long ways to go on the desktop side of things.
        The SSD failing was kind of the straw that broke me to send it back.

After being on Mac for the last 11 years, using the Linux Desktop was a major f'ing disappointment, its bad guys, really bad. As someone that runs multiple businesses, and works 10-12 hours a day, I need to get work done, and not be messing with the OS/GUI, and weird app issues. I have zero problem paying for desktop apps, if they are good, but when theres very few replacements for my mac stuff, and even paid ones, thats a major failure. I love Linux, I really do, all our/mine servers are Linux, I love the command line, I even have a Tux sticker on my car But Desktop Linux needs some major help.

Comment

MrEcho

I find MacOS's default desktop's general arrangement unusable, and unfortunately that's the only arrangement possible. I know you can fix the crappy window management to a degree, but that's not adequate for me. Apple can stick their strong opinions up their arse.

Comment

Originally posted by MrEcho View Post
            So I bought a Thelio in late November, didnt receive it till Jan. The way the package it was amazing. And it does look amazing. But.....
            I had to return it...

Severe lack of USB ports, it only had what came with the mobo ones the back. It is a mini itx mobo, so no expandability. The heat spreader on the M.2 was not touching the SSD, or not that I could really see when I pulled it off. The reason I had to, the SSD failed in less than 3 weeks.
            If I knew what was reallllly going to be on the inside, every component, make model, I wouldn't have bought it, super over priced. I looked up all the parts inside, and if I where to buy the exact same parts, would have been close to $1K cheaper. And thats with the inflated prices.

This box was meant for work, and only for work. And I really wanted to support a true Linux vendor, but they have a very long ways to go on the desktop side of things.
            The SSD failing was kind of the straw that broke me to send it back.

After being on Mac for the last 11 years, using the Linux Desktop was a major f'ing disappointment, its bad guys, really bad. As someone that runs multiple businesses, and works 10-12 hours a day, I need to get work done, and not be messing with the OS/GUI, and weird app issues. I have zero problem paying for desktop apps, if they are good, but when theres very few replacements for my mac stuff, and even paid ones, thats a major failure. I love Linux, I really do, all our/mine servers are Linux, I love the command line, I even have a Tux sticker on my car But Desktop Linux needs some major help.

tl;dr you like to waste money on fashion accessories disguised as computers and gets mad when you're screwed over, which, as an Apple customer, I'm sure you're very used to.

Comment

No one seems to have mentioned that System76 specs this system as including ECC RAM. I've been looking for a pre-built desktop system that supports ECC for a while now with little luck at anything close to this price. I don't really want to pay for the fancy wood case, but I may end up doing so anyway just to get ECC.

Comment

Originally posted by angrypie View Post
                Of course assuming sane prices, not scalping prices.
                Meanwhile, in the real world where supply and demand is a thing...

Comment

Originally posted by torsionbar28 View Post
                  Meanwhile, in the real world where supply and demand is a thing...
                  Give your money to scalpers then, or wait until supply increases and the prices drop. This is the worst time to build a PC and no amount of passive-aggressive forum posts are going to change that.

Overpaying for components for what is essentially a rebranding company for Linux fanatics isn't going to help either.

Comment

Working...
                  X