System76 Begins Detailing Their Open-Source "Launch Configurable Keyboard"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• System76 Begins Detailing Their Open-Source "Launch Configurable Keyboard"

Phoronix: System76 Begins Detailing Their Open-Source "Launch Configurable Keyboard"

For months System76 has been teasing that they were getting into prototyping and manufacturing their own keyboards. This moves follows them manufacturing their own cases with the beautifully engineered Thelio line-up while now it looks like they are ready to go public with details on the System76 keyboard...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Not for me, I need a proper numpad + sane placement of the keys. My favorite is the Logitec UltraX Premium keyboard. A shame they don't make them anymore!

http://www.dirtcellar.net

Comment

The firmware is also open-source (...) firmware updates can be obtained via FWUPD
      Damn, you got my attention.

Comment

Not much to go on, really.

Comment

I'm more than happy to pay a premium for a robust keyboard with a good key feel, very hard to find these days.
          Being open source is also a fantastic bonus.

Comment

I've always wanted to support System76. Hopefully the price point means this will be my chance.

Comment

Originally posted by Templar82 View Post
              I'm more than happy to pay a premium for a robust keyboard with a good key feel, very hard to find these days.
              Being open source is also a fantastic bonus.
              Personally have owned several VA87s from Varmilo, and though they're not open source, I've always found them to be bulletproof, though they do cost a bit north of 100 USD for an 80% version. Right now I'm typing on an "Alt" mechanical keyboard from massdrop and while it's a gorgeous looking device, It's twice the price and not very reliable. Behaves strangely and needs to be unplugged and plugged back in couple times a week. Those Varmilos are a bit more plasticky but they're genuinely good keyboards and sport genuine Cherry MX too, including red(quiet) if you don't like the mechanical sound. You can go nuts on the customization if that's your thing. Avoid any bluetooth models though they're iffy on the connection under LInux.
              Last edited by vegabook; 10 February 2021, 08:17 PM.

Comment

Keys columns still slanted, I see. What is this? the 17th century!

Comment

Why are they not using investment molding?

Comment

Does the world have some kind of fetish for mechanical keyboards? Why the hell does every 'high-end' keyboard need to be mechanical?!

They will have to pry my scissor switch keyboards off my cold dead hands.

Comment

Working...
                    X