Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

It's 2021 And The Linux Kernel's Floppy Driver Is Still Seeing The Occasional Patch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Palu Macil
    replied
    Originally posted by ssokolow View Post

Your LibreOffice is probably just using the GNOME integration. GNOME has a history of cargo cult copying Apple design decisions without understanding them well enough to do it properly. KDE is still using floppy disk icons because they've become "the save glyph" and consistency is more important once everyone knows the meanings.
    super late noticing your reply, but thanks! I didn't think about the distro and / or desktop picking the icon. Here you can always learn so much

Leave a comment:

• stiiixy
    replied
    Originally posted by 7ronic View Post
    Windows 10 does support floppy drives.
    Through the native channel, or via USB drivers?

Leave a comment:

• 7ronic
    replied
    Originally posted by ALRBP View Post
    Floppy is a strange thing. Windows 10 does not support them
    Windows 10 does support floppy drives.

Leave a comment:

• ssokolow
    replied
    Originally posted by gamerk2 View Post

To be fair, those names (along with stuff like COM1) are hardcoded and reserved for legacy purposes; stuff is going to break if you try and force feed those names in.
    Technically, it is possible to make them work... even on Windows... you just need to bypass the Win32 path translation layer and speak NT kernel internal paths. (Which things like Explorer don't do.)

Project Zero - The Definitive Guide on Win32 to NT Path Conversion

(Heck, because it uses counted strings like Pascal or Rust, the NT kernel's object manager (essentially a VFS) even allows NULL in paths.)

Leave a comment:

• ssokolow
    replied
    Originally posted by stiiixy View Post
    Yeah sire the tape worked on a floppy if you wanted to overwrite it, but these paeticular ones were byte locked somehow, and I wasn't interested in farting about when I had a CD and unlocked floppies anyway.
    Ahh. Yes. I forgot that Microsoft was dabbling in formats like DMF which pack more data onto floppy disks but tend to make them behave more like writing an ISO to a CD-RW. (ie. immutable/read-only unless you wipe the disk and re-image it.)

Leave a comment:

• stiiixy
    replied

Yeah. As a kid, it didn't occur to me that a piece of electrical tape should do the trick.

Eight. Windows for Workgroups 3.11 came on eight disks.

(Windows 3.1 came on seven, though the last disk was optional printer drivers.)
    Yeah sire the tape worked on a floppy if you wanted to overwrite it, but these paeticular ones were byte locked somehow, and I wasn't interested in farting about when I had a CD and unlocked floppies anyway.

Leave a comment:

• f0rmat
    replied

Yeah. As a kid, it didn't occur to me that a piece of electrical tape should do the trick.

Eight. Windows for Workgroups 3.11 came on eight disks.

(Windows 3.1 came on seven, though the last disk was optional printer drivers.)
    Thanks for the correction...the memory is not what it used to be.

Leave a comment:

• f0rmat
    replied
    Originally posted by gamerk2 View Post

*waves*

Support one of those at work for a production machine; it's sitting right next to the PDP-11 and the DEC computer, both still hanging on (barely).

And no, I'm being totally serious here.
    A PDP-11? Wow - do you use it to program controllers in native assembly language? What is the other DEC? Is it an Ultrix workstation or one of the VAX/VMS series? I used to work on both in graduate school. I also once had to port FORTRAN II code from a PDP-11 to FORTRAN IV code to a VAX 9000 because the University was getting rid of it's last PHP-11.

Leave a comment:

• gamerk2
    replied
    Originally posted by Etherman View Post
    Real fun is booting Linux and create funny filenames like a: b: and c: on the windows filesystem and see weird stuff happening in windows.
    Unless they have fixed it now.
    To be fair, those names (along with stuff like COM1) are hardcoded and reserved for legacy purposes; stuff is going to break if you try and force feed those names in.

Leave a comment:

• gamerk2
    replied
    Originally posted by Adarion View Post
    I wonder if somebody still has (or even uses!) a punched card reader...
    *waves*

Support one of those at work for a production machine; it's sitting right next to the PDP-11 and the DEC computer, both still hanging on (barely).

And no, I'm being totally serious here.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X