Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

It's 2021 And The Linux Kernel's Floppy Driver Is Still Seeing The Occasional Patch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• vladimir86
    replied
    Originally posted by cl333r View Post
    Same for the "alarm clock" symbol.

Got one of those in Amazon. Wind up too. Love it, but when my girl moved with me I had to put it into store as she couldn't stand the loud noise it makes. I think it is shooting for me as I had one of those as a baby, so maybe sort of subconsciously puts me in a happier place. Still use it when she goes out for a couple of days, but that is very rare.

Leave a comment:

• vladimir86
    replied
    Originally posted by ALRBP View Post
    Floppy is a strange thing. Windows 10 does not support them but the drives letters "A" and "B" are still reserved for them and when I want to save something on most software (some have changed but not most) I still click on a floppy (even on my smartphone, a technology popularized after floppy became obsolete). It's like the ghost of floppy was still in every computer, years after floppy's death.

I am probably one of the youngest people who know what a floppy is and actually used them in "production" (not professional use, I was too young). I still have old floppies somewhere in a box, but I wonder what does that strange floppy symbol means for younger people who never used floppy. Everyone knows it's the "save" symbol but for people who may never have seen a real floppy in their lives, the feeling must be different.
    Still use them regularly, So I can tell you a bit of interesting trivia:
    -While, as expected a floppy drive under Linux is still seen as "fd0", USB drives are known as SDB, SDC... Like most standard USB sticks. However, it doesn't seem to display the partitions (pe sdb1,sdb2,etc), even when you put a formatted disk. It doesn't seem to recognise the ID's of the drives either, so no use to put them in fstab
    -Windows 10 doesn't have any way to have old style of floppy drives, (I don't know of any system with IDE that could support Win10), but if you put any USB floppy drive, it'll also straight on get assigned letter A: and has its own icon. I don't have a second drive to check if it gets assigned B: , sadly

Leave a comment:

• ALRBP
    replied
    Originally posted by cl333r View Post

True.

I actually own a modern version of those old-school alarm clocks (cheap and definitely much less resilient than the old ones ; it stopped working due to low quality plastic, despite my efforts to fix it, maybe I could find a better one).

Leave a comment:

• f0rmat
    replied
    I still have the floppy that has my copy of my Master's Thesis on it - written using TeX. I also have another with the old Macintosh games Poon and SimCity and Tetris. I guess I need to dig out my old Toshiba external floppy drive (USB 1.1) and move all of that stuff to more modern hardware.

Leave a comment:

• klapaucius
    replied
    My first floppy disk drive was this one, and its disks where really floppy. It was also way faster and reliable that the datasette.

Leave a comment:

• cl333r
    replied
    Originally posted by ALRBP View Post
    Everyone knows it's the "save" symbol but for people who may never have seen a real floppy in their lives, the feeling must be different.

Leave a comment:

• tildearrow
    replied
    I remember openSUSE not booting on my server due to the floppy controller being on...

Leave a comment:

• CochainComplex
    replied
    Who appreciates the sound of it ? I love the sound of old Mac 3,5" floppies read/write. On windows computers it used to sound a bit like screaming but on mac it was more dull and dampend. BTW Sony was the manufacturing company of them afaik.

Leave a comment:

• programmerjake
    replied
    I still have a 3.5" floppy drive lying around for if I ever need it...
    Reminds me of several years ago (2010?) I borrowed my dad's 5.25" floppy drive to read a floppy from a book I found.

Leave a comment:

• Etherman
    replied
    My old neighbor did mail floppies written on his old i386(!) to tax authorities until about ~2015 when they stopped accepting them.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X