Linux 5.12 Set To See Support For The Nintendo 64

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mifritscher View Post
    It is a very minimal patch (223 lines) - and none not-N64 files (besides the KConfig/KBuild) has been touched. So the burden is non-existant....
    Not true. It still calls a lot of common APIs to set up the platform devices, etc. If those APIs change this is one more place that needs to be updated can could potentially be regressed if there is typo or some subtle semantic change in the new API.

Comment

Even if so, only the port breaks, but nothing other. And this code (and its usage of the API) is so basic, that even an automatic search and replace can (and will) be done - just to handle the many boards in a timely manner^^

Comment

You can upgrade ne N64 to a whooping 8 MB of RAM!
        I ran Linux for years on a system from the same timeframe with only 16MB, but Gnome 3 would probably have a problem.

Comment

Originally posted by agd5f View Post

Not true. It still calls a lot of common APIs to set up the platform devices, etc. If those APIs change this is one more place that needs to be updated can could potentially be regressed if there is typo or some subtle semantic change in the new API.
          You seem to be knowledgeable in Linux matters, can the Linux kernel create symlinks (in its virtual filesystem) to non-existing files, I mean is it a kernel bug if it does?
          E.g. the symlink /sys/block/sda/subsystem points to "/../../../../../../class/block" which requires to go up 6 levels while the file itself is only 3 levels down the root. Any idea what's this about?
          Last edited by cl333r; 22 January 2021, 05:08 PM.

Comment

@cl333r: .. on / points to ... / ;-) Because of this: Yes, that works.

Comment

.. on / points to ... /
              I don't understand what you're saying, and I don't know what three points "..." are supposed to mean in a filesystem, unless it's some kinda joke.

Comment

I still hope to see support for the Sony Playstation2 some day. There were some patchsets in the past, but none of them tried to go mainline. If someone's interested: This is the most current and, imho, the least hacky approach: https://github.com/frno7/linux

Comment

This would be amazing if the linux kernel could access the flashcart's memory after booting.

Comment

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post
                    I think the only way to deploy Linux on this hardware is with awesome but "legally gray" tools such as https://krikzz.com/store/
                    How is that "legally grey"? Is a USB flash stick in that category as well because you can use it to boot an illegal copy of Windows?

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post
                      I don't understand what you're saying, and I don't know what three points "..." are supposed to mean in a filesystem, unless it's some kinda joke.
                      sorry, the "..." were only a sort of *drumroll* ^^

at /, both . and .. are pointing to / . So e.g. /../../../ points to / again.

So you can do things like cd ../../../../../etc if you are at /tmp

Comment

Working...
                      X