• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh wow, it took a whole several hours

This product is no longer in stock

Comment

Originally posted by ddriver View Post
      Oh wow, it took a whole several hours
      I might be mistaken, but apparently there is a company out there that finds products in short supply and high demand. Apparently the way it works is you buy their indications to scalp on Ebay, I imagine you give them a commission or pay for the service upfront.

Maybe they are the ones helping every hot product launch for the past year, to be unavailable for the stock price.

Comment

Originally posted by ddriver View Post

Those are not stupidly powerful cores, and the ram is not little for that market, the classic arduino has only 2kb of ram, this thing has over 256k, or almost half of what anyone would ever need

If anything that's quite a lot of ram for what this is, IMO even 64k per core is more than enough for a good 99% of the use cases. Remember, this is a microcontorller. They probably put so much memory on it because of their desire to push python use with it, and python is a memory hog. OK-ish specs for python makes for a beast for c / c++.
        They definitely are compared to the amount of IRAM provided. You are never going to achieve a real time operating environment with a handful of useful tasks to make full use of the two cores at their rated frequencies, as by that time you'll be out of space already. They should have gone for ~500KB IRAM with support for off-chip SDRAM up to 1 or 2MB while raising the price to reflect that. As it stands, the Pico will only be useful for the same old Arduino-class projects, and some form of parallelization will only be used as an exercise in task synchronization. Missed opportunity.
        And "microcontroller" doesn't mean anything. There are microcontrollers with one core clocked at hundreds of kilohertz that only do some bips and occasionaly some bops and can live with 2KB RAM. This is not it, M0s are used for complex projects, e.g. CubeSats. There are no low-cost toys to emulate such an environment, while there are already too many low-IRAM toys for elementary school children.
        I don't care, but again, missed opportunity.

Comment

Originally posted by caligula View Post

Keep in mind the original RPi also had some serious limitations, but that won't prevent people from buying every last piece of the manufactured stock. It's still better than Arduino Nano or ESP32.
          Well, can't argue with that. Still sad they skimped on IRAM as they have historically done with RAM on Pis in general, up until the Pi 4.

Comment

Originally posted by chocolate View Post
            As it stands, the Pico will only be useful for the same old Arduino-class projects, and some form of parallelization will only be used as an exercise in task synchronization
            Good, don't buy in then, it is not like you are obligated to, right? Clearly this aint no batter than a plain old arduino, even if it has 100x the ram, and probably 50x the performance, at 1/3 of the price... useless junk...

Comment

Great, looking forward to run something like Nuttx on it.

Comment

Which may be the recommended age to approach a kid to this matter? This PICO looks more focus in doing stuff rather than a RPI which resemble more a true computer... Don't know, just I love those stuff as much as I do not understand them at all...

Comment

Originally posted by caligula View Post
                  It's still better than ESP32.
                  Better than esp32? In what way?

Comment

Originally posted by oleid View Post

Better than esp32? In what way?
                    Literally none. It is slower, it doesn't have wifi, nor bluetooth...

Comment

Originally posted by microcode View Post

Literally none. It is slower, it doesn't have wifi, nor bluetooth...
                      That's what I was thinking as well

Comment

Working...
                      X