X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• M@yeulC
    replied
    Originally posted by ThoreauHD View Post
    They must be leaning on Linux for something. Sony doesn't do anything that doesn't directly cut them a check. Including hiring Denzel Washington.
    Well, for one, they allow streaming PlayStation games to Android phones, and control them over Bluetooth. Maybe that's just furthering this line of thought, for Android boxes, TVs, etc... Though it might take some time to trickle down, it could be backported.

Leave a comment:

• ElectricPrism
    replied
    Thank you Benevolent Japanese Overlords =P just kidding. But I definitely will take notice the next time I go to purchase electronics and see SONY in the lineup and remember.

Leave a comment:

• RSpliet
    replied
    My guess would be that this allows game developers to do initial development or porting on Linux rather than on the PS5. Probably makes for quicker code-compile-test-fix cycles than involving an external locked-down device.

Leave a comment:

• baryluk
    replied
    This is very unexpected and pleasant surprise.

My guess, is they are thinking to move to more Linux based OS for PS6 or something. But that is super unlikely actually (especially considering Linux license), but at the same time, who knows. Other option is, they might want to do virtualized Linux on their PS5, and be able to run Windows games via wine and dxvk, or something even more crazy.

Or just some Sony employ being nice to the community. Right now most people use Steam or Microsoft controllers on Linux, even if they don't own any console. This move just makes the Sony controller more Linux friendly, and it is always a bit of revenue for Sony from such users. (Granted probably small, but still).

Still good thing to community, which is rare from Sony.

Leave a comment:

• ThoreauHD
    replied
    They must be leaning on Linux for something. Sony doesn't do anything that doesn't directly cut them a check. Including hiring Denzel Washington.

Leave a comment:

• Aryma
    replied
    this not 1 april why are posted this

Leave a comment:

• Sony Publishes An Official Linux Driver For PlayStation 5 DualSense Controllers

Phoronix: Sony Publishes An Official Linux Driver For PlayStation 5 DualSense Controllers

Well here is a pleasant Christmas surprise... Sony has published a new "hid-playstation" Linux kernel driver for bringing up the PlayStation 5 DualSense controller and will also be used for supporting other PlayStation hardware on Linux...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite
Working...
X