Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gavron
    replied
    Any company that wants to contribute unencumbered FOSS is welcome.

Once they apologize to Geohotz perhaps I'll buy a product they make ever again.

E

Leave a comment:

• stqn
    replied
    Originally posted by RSpliet View Post
    My guess would be that this allows game developers to do initial development or porting on Linux rather than on the PS5. Probably makes for quicker code-compile-test-fix cycles than involving an external locked-down device.
    All the consoles require Windows for development (the big three at least). It would be a nice change to be able to use Linux but I don’t think it will happen soon.

Leave a comment:

• theriddick
    replied
    Originally posted by ThoreauHD View Post
    They must be leaning on Linux for something. Sony doesn't do anything that doesn't directly cut them a check. Including hiring Denzel Washington.
    Linux is a big supporter of Vulkan API which from what I understand is easiest for Sony to port or even use directly since it isn't locked down to a particular OS.

I believe the PS4 and Switch even are capable of running Vulkan API if a developer wishes, but I do not know directly since I don't have console dev kits, but someone who does might know if vulkan calls can be made available or not.

Lets be honest here, DX12 is kind-of the enemy of Linux and basically everything outside of windows10... (xbox run a streamlined version of windows10)
    Last edited by theriddick; 24 December 2020, 08:33 PM.

Leave a comment:

• EthraZa
    replied
    O guess they want DualSense working on Sony Android TVs for PS remote, Stadia and the likes.

Leave a comment:

• leech
    replied
    What makes the most sense to me is that people may develop more games utilizing some of the unique characteristics of the controllers. and you know if you get a game like Horizon Zero Dawn to run on Linux, and the controllers enhanced the gameplay as such as the trailers for some PS5 games show, maybe they will change from random gimmick, to something people actually want. I know I am more inclined to buy a PS5 controller nkw and was going to wait at least a year or two to get a PS5.

Leave a comment:

• esbeeb
    replied
    Owing to this driver support, I'd get these joysticks for a niece or nephew way sooner than the Kentucky Fried Joysticks.

Leave a comment:

• jntesteves
    replied
    Geez, the theories on this thread!
    Sony uses Android extensively. Android which uses Linux. That's all there is to it.

Leave a comment:

• shmerl
    replied
    Knowing Sony, they are probably trying to undercut someone by doing it. But whatever - officially supported open drivers are always welcome.

Leave a comment:

• xcom
    replied
    We need Sony to step up against DX12 with supporting SDL and Vulkan on PS5.
    If you Sony do this, I will buy a PS5, ;-)

Leave a comment:

• SyXbiT
    replied
    Originally posted by baryluk View Post
    This is very unexpected and pleasant surprise.

My guess, is they are thinking to move to more Linux based OS for PS6 or something. But that is super unlikely actually (especially considering Linux license), but at the same time, who knows. Other option is, they might want to do virtualized Linux on their PS5, and be able to run Windows games via wine and dxvk, or something even more crazy.

Or just some Sony employ being nice to the community. Right now most people use Steam or Microsoft controllers on Linux, even if they don't own any console. This move just makes the Sony controller more Linux friendly, and it is always a bit of revenue for Sony from such users. (Granted probably small, but still).

Still good thing to community, which is rare from Sony.
    You've come up with some of the most ridiculous theories of 2020 .
    A simpler theory could be that this helps sell PS controllers, as they'll work better on other platforms

Leave a comment:

Working...
X