Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Linux 5.11 Brings Intel WiFi 6GHz Band Support (Wi-Fi 6E)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spacefish
    replied
    My AX210 modules arrived in the meantime from China.
    Linux: Had to uptime to 5.11 kernel obviously but they work
    Windows 10 (latest build): No driver included, but after installing the intel driver, it directly connected with 802.11ac and WPA3 to my network.
    Once i installed the second module in my laptop, i will try out 6E

Leave a comment:

• ThoreauHD
    replied
    Perfect timing. Just combine it with your mandatory CV19 Luciferin nanotube vaccine, and you can make it a forever walking dead/'Love that Joker' Christmas.

Leave a comment:

• torsionbar28
    replied
    Originally posted by Spacefish View Post
    Everone laughs at WiFi grilling those birds and Neighbours, unless someone somewhere pulls out that 2.4Ghz amplifier with that 50dBm+ Output and a proper focusing dish
    This is real. It's the output power that has the capacity to cause injury, not the frequency. This is why you can sleep next to a 2.4 Ghz wifi device, but a 2.4 Ghz microwave oven will boil water.

https://www.usnews.com/news/health-n...-diplomats-ill

Leave a comment:

• Spacefish
    replied
    Everone laughs at WiFi grilling those birds and Neighbours, unless someone somewhere pulls out that 2.4Ghz amplifier with that 50dBm+ Output and a proper focusing dish

Got my AX210s on order as well, in europe it takes some weeks to arrive from china..

Leave a comment:

• Vorpal
    replied
    Originally posted by calc View Post

That's probably due to congestion. I live in a ~ 400 sq m house and 5 GHz works fine through multiple walls and even through the exterior brick walls, with a single router (no mesh). At my house 5 GHz has a strong signal and no problems with reliability. There is some congestion in the area from other houses nearby but not nearly as bad as you likely have living in an apartment. Also depending on building codes your apartment may have concrete walls or metal studs instead of drywall and wood leading to additional problems for a 5 GHz WiFi signal. If you have regular drywall walls you may want to do a WiFi survey and switch to a less congested channel.
    While congestion certainly has a large effect, so does construction method. I can see a massive difference between 5 GHz in my apartment (built in the 60s), and my parents older traditionally constructed European house. The former has either concrete (load bearing) or relatively thin plasterboard walls. 5 GHz is fine even with a handful of neighbors that also use 5 GHz. My parents house has thick walls with timber in the middle. 5 GHz just travels one room over at best, even though there isn't another access point to be seen.

Probably the type of access point also plays a role here, but neither installation is on the cheap end. I use Asus, while for my parents I installed a meshed Unifi system.

Leave a comment:

• calc
    replied
    Originally posted by Sonadow View Post
    They can go through walls but are completely unreliable.

I live in a small apartment, and my phones keep randomly dropping their 5GHz signal in my bedroom. Which is only 5m from the access point and only has one wall between. Signal is also extremely weak at <40% usually. And I think it's ridiculous that I have to consider setting up a mesh WiFi network with one node per room just to avoid such problems. In a small apartment with only four rooms.
    That's probably due to congestion. I live in a ~ 400 sq m house and 5 GHz works fine through multiple walls and even through the exterior brick walls, with a single router (no mesh). At my house 5 GHz has a strong signal and no problems with reliability. There is some congestion in the area from other houses nearby but not nearly as bad as you likely have living in an apartment. Also depending on building codes your apartment may have concrete walls or metal studs instead of drywall and wood leading to additional problems for a 5 GHz WiFi signal. If you have regular drywall walls you may want to do a WiFi survey and switch to a less congested channel.
    Last edited by calc; 17 December 2020, 11:27 PM.

Leave a comment:

• duby229
    replied
    Originally posted by torsionbar28 View Post

The idea of wifi being harmful, at least at the power output levels of consumer gear, is pretty laughable. It's right up there with "Russian collusion" and other pop culture tall tales. Still, I can't help but wonder if 6Ghz wifi is going to be any better in practice than current 5 Ghz wifi. I've got a more high end access point, and most devices still cannot link at 5 Ghz unless they're line of sight. Go to the next room over and it's 2.4 Ghz only.

Edit: If you want to see some real science, put a single grape in your microwave for 20 seconds, that puts on a good visual show.
    The point isn't about being better, it's about being less congested. If you are in an area where there are dozens of AP's on 2.4ghz and 5ghz, then it's likely you'll get less interference on a 6ghz AP. It only really matters when there are too many routers on the same band.

You probably have a whole lot of congestion which causes interference where you are.

Leave a comment:

• Sonadow
    replied
    Originally posted by calc View Post

Even cheap 5GHz WiFi gear, without external antennas, easily work through multiple walls in a normal house. High end gear, with external antennas, have no problem at all and easily goes through external brick walls.
    They can go through walls but are completely unreliable.

I live in a small apartment, and my phones keep randomly dropping their 5GHz signal in my bedroom. Which is only 5m from the access point and only has one wall between. Signal is also extremely weak at <40% usually. And I think it's ridiculous that I have to consider setting up a mesh WiFi network with one node per room just to avoid such problems. In a small apartment with only four rooms.

Leave a comment:

• calc
    replied
    Originally posted by torsionbar28 View Post
    Still, I can't help but wonder if 6Ghz wifi is going to be any better in practice than current 5 Ghz wifi. I've got a more high end access point, and most devices still cannot link at 5 Ghz unless they're line of sight. Go to the next room over and it's 2.4 Ghz only.
    Are your walls lead lined?

Even cheap 5GHz WiFi gear, without external antennas, easily work through multiple walls in a normal house. High end gear, with external antennas, have no problem at all and easily goes through external brick walls.

Leave a comment:

• torsionbar28
    replied
    Originally posted by StarterX4 View Post
    6Ghz !!!!! WE ARE GOING TO BE FRIED LIKE SAUSAGES IN THE MICROWAVE !!!!

Tin foil hatted "scientists" reading this article and writing their another (fake) RESEARCH to spread on boomer social media
    The idea of wifi being harmful, at least at the power output levels of consumer gear, is pretty laughable. It's right up there with "Russian collusion" and other pop culture tall tales. Still, I can't help but wonder if 6Ghz wifi is going to be any better in practice than current 5 Ghz wifi. I've got a more high end access point, and most devices still cannot link at 5 Ghz unless they're line of sight. Go to the next room over and it's 2.4 Ghz only.

Edit: If you want to see some real science, put a single grape in your microwave for 20 seconds, that puts on a good visual show.
    Last edited by torsionbar28; 17 December 2020, 08:33 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X