Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Linux 5.11 Brings Intel WiFi 6GHz Band Support (Wi-Fi 6E)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux 5.11 Brings Intel WiFi 6GHz Band Support (Wi-Fi 6E)

Phoronix: Linux 5.11 Brings Intel WiFi 6GHz Band Support (Wi-Fi 6E)

The networking subsystem updates have landed for the in-development Linux 5.11 kernel...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

6Ghz !!!!! WE ARE GOING TO BE FRIED LIKE SAUSAGES IN THE MICROWAVE !!!!

Tin foil hatted "scientists" reading this article and writing their another (fake) RESEARCH to spread on boomer social media

Comment

This lines up great, have some AX210 chips arriving tomorrow.

Comment

Originally posted by StarterX4 View Post

Tin foil hatted "scientists" reading this article and writing their another (fake) RESEARCH to spread on boomer social media
        Old news, 802.11ad already uses 57-71GHz!

Comment

Sorry, but you got it a little bit wrong, microwave ovens operate in the 2.4 GHz band (see http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu...es/mwoven.html ). There have been so many 2.4 GHz Wifi frying incidents that the reptilian leadership is having a really hard time covering it up, hence the move to 6GHz - it's much better for mind control (their original goal), but doesn't fry the users (as much).

Comment

Any idea if ath10k hardware can do FILS?

Comment

The idea of wifi being harmful, at least at the power output levels of consumer gear, is pretty laughable. It's right up there with "Russian collusion" and other pop culture tall tales. Still, I can't help but wonder if 6Ghz wifi is going to be any better in practice than current 5 Ghz wifi. I've got a more high end access point, and most devices still cannot link at 5 Ghz unless they're line of sight. Go to the next room over and it's 2.4 Ghz only.

Edit: If you want to see some real science, put a single grape in your microwave for 20 seconds, that puts on a good visual show.
              Last edited by torsionbar28; 17 December 2020, 08:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by torsionbar28 View Post
                Still, I can't help but wonder if 6Ghz wifi is going to be any better in practice than current 5 Ghz wifi. I've got a more high end access point, and most devices still cannot link at 5 Ghz unless they're line of sight. Go to the next room over and it's 2.4 Ghz only.
                Are your walls lead lined?

Even cheap 5GHz WiFi gear, without external antennas, easily work through multiple walls in a normal house. High end gear, with external antennas, have no problem at all and easily goes through external brick walls.

Comment

Originally posted by calc View Post

Even cheap 5GHz WiFi gear, without external antennas, easily work through multiple walls in a normal house. High end gear, with external antennas, have no problem at all and easily goes through external brick walls.
                  They can go through walls but are completely unreliable.

I live in a small apartment, and my phones keep randomly dropping their 5GHz signal in my bedroom. Which is only 5m from the access point and only has one wall between. Signal is also extremely weak at <40% usually. And I think it's ridiculous that I have to consider setting up a mesh WiFi network with one node per room just to avoid such problems. In a small apartment with only four rooms.

Comment

Originally posted by torsionbar28 View Post

The idea of wifi being harmful, at least at the power output levels of consumer gear, is pretty laughable. It's right up there with "Russian collusion" and other pop culture tall tales. Still, I can't help but wonder if 6Ghz wifi is going to be any better in practice than current 5 Ghz wifi. I've got a more high end access point, and most devices still cannot link at 5 Ghz unless they're line of sight. Go to the next room over and it's 2.4 Ghz only.

Edit: If you want to see some real science, put a single grape in your microwave for 20 seconds, that puts on a good visual show.
                    The point isn't about being better, it's about being less congested. If you are in an area where there are dozens of AP's on 2.4ghz and 5ghz, then it's likely you'll get less interference on a 6ghz AP. It only really matters when there are too many routers on the same band.

You probably have a whole lot of congestion which causes interference where you are.

Comment

Working...
                    X