No announcement yet.

Linux 5.11 Adding New Driver For Another Budget-Friendly, LCD Character Display

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux 5.11 Adding New Driver For Another Budget-Friendly, LCD Character Display

Phoronix: Linux 5.11 Adding New Driver For Another Budget-Friendly, LCD Character Display

Adding to the Linux 5.11 changes and set of new drivers is "lcd2s" as a driver for supporting a 20x4 LCD character display connected via SPI/I2C and with this support can serve as a kernel console output device...

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...odtronix-lcd2s

Isn't this an hd44780 ? They're like $1 on the usual chinese shop. Maybe a few cents more with i2c interface.

Comment

When I was at university, every 2nd semester student had to program these with software-generated i2c over gpio pins. fun times...

Comment

Originally posted by ayumu View Post
        Isn't this an hd44780 ? They're like $1 on the usual chinese shop. Maybe a few cents more with i2c interface.
        In the article picture, it probably is.

I have roughly 30 of these displays around for arduino projects, and use them often.

Comment

I have accumulated many other LCD-display configurations over the years, e.g., 40 X 2, 20 X 1, 20 X 2, ...
          How would anyone easily determine if Linux supports other display formats?

This is really good, helpful information (especially to people who embrace both software and hardware design; I'd like to see more articles such as this on this site. Thank you very much, Michael.

Comment

Originally posted by ayumu View Post
            The HD44780 is not a display, but an LCD controller chip created by Hitachi in the late '70s / early '80s, which has enjoyed wild popularity, and has been "second-sourced" by innumerable manufacturers.
            It has probably been used in almost every character-based LCD display ever made; and It's most likely right up there with the '555 and '741, as far as popularity (among commercial designers) goes. BUT...you cannot expect to get a specific display by saying, "Umm, I want one of those HD44780 things..."

Comment

Ok - I'll bite... Why does this thing need it's own specific Kernel driver? Why can't this just be a vanilla USB or PCI device accessible via a user mode library?

Comment

Originally posted by OneTimeShot View Post
                Ok - I'll bite... Why does this thing need it's own specific Kernel driver? Why can't this just be a vanilla USB or PCI device accessible via a user mode library?
                Kernel console support with it. As mentioned in the article, there are already user-space libraries for normal functionality.
                Michael Larabel
                http://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

If they could do something about the iMon VFD, it would be great as well.

I have an old Antec Fusion 430 HTPC case for my desktop (still beautiful 15 years later), and the VFD thingie is too much of a mess playing with between lcdproc and LCDd, daemons to start manually or config files to tinker with. It would also hinder proper suspend/resume because of that daemon. Or it would stay lit when suspend, or not turn back on when resuming.
                  3 years ago, when I upgraded, I tried once again to make it work with some sort of automation, but I quickly gave up. I'm kind of used these days to have the thing turned off, but still... Would be cool.

Comment

Does anyone know of something like one of these but with a screen size of 80x25?

Comment

Working...
                    X