Linux Appears Close To Supporting LiFi Light-Based Networking With pureLiFi

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux Appears Close To Supporting LiFi Light-Based Networking With pureLiFi

Phoronix: Linux Appears Close To Supporting LiFi Light-Based Networking With pureLiFi

PureLiFi, one of the leaders when it comes to Li-Fi for high-speed, light-based wireless technology, has been spending the past few months bringing up their open-source Linux driver to the mainline kernel for their devices...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I have been waiting for years for a LiFi NIC.

Comment

I'll stick with wired networks for workstations and wifi for laptops. The last thing I need is the light fixtures in my ceiling having their own IP address.

Comment

Hm, quite interesting. It might use you room lights (they must be LED) to transmit data to your phone. Upload happens in IR. But if you turn off your lights, no data any more :-) . You need either to only dim the light, so it still shines a little bit, or some IR light source needs to be used. If implemented well, it might be a very interesting technology.

Comment

Working...
        X