Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Linux 5.11 Adds "Magic" To Support Guitar Hero Live PlayStation 3 / Wii U Dongles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux 5.11 Adds "Magic" To Support Guitar Hero Live PlayStation 3 / Wii U Dongles

Phoronix: Linux 5.11 Adds "Magic" To Support Guitar Hero Live PlayStation 3 / Wii U Dongles

The latest bit of obscure hardware support set to arrive with Linux 5.11 are the PlayStation 3 and Nintendo Wii U dongles for the Guitar Hero Live...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Not as obscure as it seems. There's been a lot of attention surrounding these devices because of RPCS3. The work probably comes from one of the interested parties.

Comment

If they wanted to be safe to get it in, they should have made it systemd-wii_u_dongle

Comment

I see everyone mocking systemd in someways, which I can't understand "why, what the reason" because I'm noob towards this.

Comment

This is indeed a case of "scratching my own itch". I wrote a little bit of the backstory on reddit some time ago.
          At the time I had written an out-of-three module (DKMS) that I had posted on github.

And as mentioned by eydee, it isn't that obscure. As an example, the Clone Hero community alone is quite lively if its subreddit is any indication.

After the initial submission of my patch, HID's maintainer, Jiri Kosina, asked me to modify hid-sony instead of creating a new driver. So I did.

Comment

Originally posted by pranav View Post
            I see everyone mocking systemd in someways, which I can't understand "why, what the reason" because I'm noob towards this.
            It's about how init systems in the past did very little and everything was left up to distributions and programs whereas systemd does things more or less its own way and distributions and programs conform to it. But because systemd does more and has a lot more (optional) features than other init systems, that has led to feature creep rants and raves over the years which gives us systemd-guitarhero jokes today.

Comment

Originally posted by evilynux View Post
              This is indeed a case of "scratching my own itch". I wrote a little bit of the backstory on reddit some time ago.
              At the time I had written an out-of-three module (DKMS) that I had posted on github.

And as mentioned by eydee, it isn't that obscure. As an example, the Clone Hero community alone is quite lively if its subreddit is any indication.

After the initial submission of my patch, HID's maintainer, Jiri Kosina, asked me to modify hid-sony instead of creating a new driver. So I did.
              As one of the developers of Clone Hero i'm sure that the community will appreciate your work on this. There is actually quite a few rhythm game controllers with issues on PCs (windows/mac/linux). Lack of certain features on pc and whatnot. RB3 ps3/wii pro keyboard, ps3/wii pro guitar, the rb2 wii/ps3 drums velocity sensitivity, and some ps3 guitar hero guitars missing the tilt axis for example. The more of these that have work arounds or proper drivers the better

Also how's it going i remember you working on FoFiX back in the day, I also did for a while, until eventually moving onto other projects
              Last edited by starheap; 30 November 2020, 04:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by starheap View Post

As one of the developers of Clone Hero i'm sure that the community will appreciate your work on this. There is actually quite a few rhythm game controllers with issues on PCs (windows/mac/linux). Lack of certain features on pc and whatnot. RB3 ps3/wii pro keyboard, ps3/wii pro guitar, the rb2 wii/ps3 drums velocity sensitivity, and some ps3 guitar hero guitars missing the tilt axis for example. The more of these that have work arounds or proper drivers the better
                Well, I "only" have 8 guitars and 2 and a half drum kits (2 GHL PS3/WiiU dongles, 2 GHL PS4 dongles, Wii BandHero guitar and drums, xbox360 wireless GHWT guitar and drum, and 2 xbox360 wired Xplorer). I don't have any of the hardware you mention... But if I were, I'll gladly scratch other itches as they come along. FWIW, anything PS3 would be a much easier target.

Note that following the merger of my kernel patch, Sanjay submitted a patch today to fix the tilt for the GH3 PS3 and PC guitars.

Also how's it going i remember you working on FoFiX back in the day, I also did for a while, until eventually moving onto other projects
                Houlala! A LOT of things have changed in my life since then. I'll be very happy to privately chat with you if you reach out by whichever other mean (e.g., email or reddit). I'm easy to find.

Comment

Well, I "only" have 8 guitars and 2 and a half drum kits (2 GHL PS3/WiiU dongles, 2 GHL PS4 dongles, Wii BandHero guitar and drums, xbox360 wireless GHWT guitar and drum, and 2 xbox360 wired Xplorer). I don't have any of the hardware you mention... But if I were, I'll gladly scratch other itches as they come along. FWIW, anything PS3 would be a much easier target.
                  Fair enough would be interesting to pick your brain about how one approaches trying to reverse engineer the usb protocol. Could be useful for trying to figure these out then implement an input plugin for the game to support these kinds of controllers directly rather than having 3rd party applications translate into xinput. (that way there is a chance for them to work cross platform hopefully with various usbhid input libraries)

Note that following the merger of my kernel patch, Sanjay submitted a patch today to fix the tilt for the GH3 PS3 and PC guitars.
                  Thats great to see!

Houlala! A LOT of things have changed in my life since then. I'll be very happy to privately chat with you if you reach out by whichever other mean (e.g., email or reddit). I'm easy to find.
                  Yeah me too, looking back at the repo I came into the project just after you had left it, and it's been 10 years since you were a major contributor, I'd hope that a lot has changed since then 😛I might message you on discord since i see you're in the discord server 👍

Comment

Fair enough would be interesting to pick your brain about how one approaches trying to reverse engineer the usb protocol. Could be useful for trying to figure these out then implement an input plugin for the game to support these kinds of controllers directly rather than having 3rd party applications translate into xinput. (that way there is a chance for them to work cross platform hopefully with various usbhid input libraries)
                    If your interested, I've been working on my own Arduino based controllers myself, which is how i reverse engineered the tilt on the PS3 guitars, and a wide variety of other things about various console controllers

Comment

Working...
                    X